Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #1

Share |

Finding joists

I live in a really old rental house, and I need to find the joists to attach a baby hammock to the ceiling. Unfortunately a stud finder doesn't locate them, and I have no idea how to find them. Any advice?
DIY_Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #2

Finding joists

Does the ceiling have any type of moldings? If so, maybe you can see where they nailed them
waterman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:17 PM   #3

Finding joists

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman1971 View Post
Does the ceiling have any type of moldings? If so, maybe you can see where they nailed them
No, unfortunately it doesn't. Someone did a really hack-y remodel job on the whole house in the past couple decades.
DIY_Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #4

Finding joists

Baby. Old structure. Rental. Unknown construction. I'd go with an A-Frame that sets on the floor. Just 2 cents worth.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
fabrk8r

Finding joists

If there is a ceiling light fixture you could take it down and see from the opening where the joists are.

What I have done in the past when dealing with plaster and lath ceilings is drill a small hole in an inconspicuous spot and fish a coat hanger into the hole to determine the location and spacing of the joists. The pencil sized hole can be easily filled.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #6

Finding joists

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY_Diva View Post
I live in a really old rental house, and I need to find the joists to attach a baby hammock to the ceiling. Unfortunately a stud finder doesn't locate them, and I have no idea how to find them. Any advice?
If the ceilings are now sheetrocked, you can hold a flashlight parallel to the ceiling and pick out the filled nail holes if the remodel is as lousy as you say.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
the Musigician

Finding joists

IF the ceiling is sheetrocked, and maybe even if not, a good, strong ceramic type (read: hard drive) magnet should find any metal fasteners up there.

BUT.... I have to agree with DexterII as to the wisdom of continuing in this fashion.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #8

Finding joists

What's above the ceiling? If it's the attic, go up there and look around.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #9

Finding joists

Either a rare earth magnet or a $39 metal detector will locate fasteners. However if it has drywall over an existing ceiling you may only find furring strips and I wouldn't want to hang from those.
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote