Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2007, 01:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,032
Question

Finding faults with my home inspection

i bought my house in february and had it inspected prior to.

i just found out that the inspector did not do a very good job as i discovered about five 14-gauge wires going into 20- instead of 15-amp breakers.

is the home inspector legally liable for this ? i am not the kind of a bad person that is after sueing but i would at least like him to bear the expenses of the repair.

or how should i go about this ?

P.S.: i suspect that he may have minimized the item list in conjunction with my realtor, whom i do not completely trust, in order to facilitate the sale of the house.

amakarevic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:11 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post

i just found out that the inspector did not do a very good job as i discovered about five 14-gauge wires going into 20- instead of 15-amp breakers.

is the home inspector legally liable for this ? i am not the kind of a bad person that is after sueing but i would at least like him to bear the expenses of the repair.

P.S.: i suspect that he may have minimized the item list in conjunction with my realtor, whom i do not completely trust, in order to facilitate the sale of the house.
Generally, All home inspectors have clauses in their signed contracts.

These protect them from a new home buyer's lawsuits.
Why? Because, just like contractors and state and town building inspectors, they can't see through walls to find EVERY damage or fault. I am not speaking specifically about your wiring issue, but about various 'hidden' issues in general. Thus, the understandable reason for the clause.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:52 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Call the inspector and ask him about his inspection. Were you there during the inspection? Did he remove the service entrance panel for the inspection? If he didn't ask him why...it might be good to know.

This isn't really a costly repair, it is however one that should be done. Throw the main breaker and replace them yourself, it's not rocket science...it is however something to be keenly aware of details and if you don't know what something is...don't touch it.

Do you know for certain that the inspector is in cahoots with your agent? A friendly phone call to your agent once you figure out what's going on might help them understand that inspector isn't the best qualified inspector that's out there. Then it's on their conscience when the next request for recommendations comes up. It's for this reason, I seldom take the recommendation of a person that I have had a short one-time dealing with. Many make honest solid recommendations, others....well they know what speaks the loudest. Good luck!
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:48 PM   #4
Eibwen

Rewards Points: 500

This is one reason why most agents will suggest that you locate your own home inspector as a third agent to remove the possibility of collusion.

And as AC says the liability clause is standard for most.

A home inspection should catch major structural and safety issues but may not catch everything that may be wrong with a home.

I have found that most inspectors have an area of expertise such as plumbing, electrical, etc. and while being somewhat versed in other areas, concentrate on what they are familiar with.

Might call your agent or the inspector and see what happens but the fix is fairly cheap.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:22 PM   #5
jms

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post

The inspector did not cause the problem. The homeowner did. Home inspectors cannot see thru walls ilke previous said. I would put a call into the real estate agent and ask him. Then get a electrician you can trust out to your home to fix it.
jms is offline   Reply With Quote