Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2010, 09:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Final Inspection Questions

I'm finishing the second floor of my house (it was just framed when we moved it). I have all the inspections (plumbing, electrical and HVAC) both rough and final except for final inspection. I only have a few things left to do to complete the project. I have to put in baseboard in one room and I still have to put window/door casings/trim in.

Will these remaining items prevent me from passing a final inspection? Or do I need to have these completed before the inspector comes?

I'm in a hurry to get the final inspection done and passed because I have an appraiser coming in a few days. Will the appraisal be affected if I don't have the final inspection completed by then?

docmattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:42 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

I think you will find just what is required will be specific to your location, I cannot see any reason why the items you mentioned would prevent a final inspection.

as to the lack of a final affecting an appraisal?

yes since with no final you cannot have a certificate of occupancy so to the appraiser, the addition is not habitable living space, yet. An appraiser can ignore that fact but they don't have to. For all they know, the build is riddled with defects that could drastically alter the value. I would contact the appraiser now and just ask them.

I believe the lack of the finishing work will affect the appraisal more than the final inspection.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:13 PM   #3

So I guess that means that the appraiser will know that it was unfinished when we bought it and it still doesn't have the certificate of occupancy?

They can't appraise it as if it were finished with a "pending final inspection" flag on it?
Old 07-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
So I guess that means that the appraiser will know that it was unfinished when we bought it and it still doesn't have the certificate of occupancy?
It's possible. I was presuming this was part of a construction loan deal so in such a situation, it would be known.

So, why the appraiser?

and the appraiser can see new construction. If they are like appraisers I know, they will also get the tax records on file and any recent sales records for the house. That would show square footage.

Quote:
They can't appraise it as if it were finished with a "pending final inspection" flag on it?
they can. I can't tell you if they will. That is why I suggested asking them what they will do.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmattman View Post
I'm finishing the second floor of my house (it was just framed when we moved it). I have all the inspections (plumbing, electrical and HVAC) both rough and final except for final inspection. I only have a few things left to do to complete the project. I have to put in baseboard in one room and I still have to put window/door casings/trim in.

Will these remaining items prevent me from passing a final inspection? Or do I need to have these completed before the inspector comes?

I'm in a hurry to get the final inspection done and passed because I have an appraiser coming in a few days. Will the appraisal be affected if I don't have the final inspection completed by then?
You have about 4 hours of work as listed. Why not post less and finish the job?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:18 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

I would just hurry up and finish the small stuff left. Your final likely will not be affected because there are no hazards to people, and because they probably won't want to come back to see if the casing was done. On the other hand the appraisor cannot consider an area that isn't on plan or complete
Strach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:11 PM   #7

Our house is under contract for sale. It closes in a few weeks, but the inspector is coming in two days. Not sure why it's so early, but I wanted to get the final inspection done before the inspector comes. I just hope a little missing trim won't fail the inspection.