DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Filling sunken living room w/ concrete Q's

28K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  jogr 
#1 ·
I posted previously about wanting to build up my living room floor, well I've changed my mind and now I'm planning to have it filled w/ concrete instead of building up a subfloor. My main question is what prep work needs to be done before pouring:

Basics:
Room Dimensions: 20' x 18'
Sunken dimension: 5.5"
Concrete amount: a little over 6 yards (~6.1)
Subfloor: this is all on the first floor of a house built on a slab

Drywall issues: none, drywall on sunken portion only extends down as low as higher portion, carpet is used to go the 5.5" up on the sunken portion.
Below drywall is either the 2x6" used to form the concrete or concrete blocks on the two exterior walls which the framed out walls sit on top of.

How to get concrete in: It's going to either have to be pumped or wheel barrowed in (6 yards).

I'll rip the carpet, carpet pad, and tack strip out myself, and then have someone raise the two exisiting floor HVAC registers. THe only thing mentioned so far is that the concrete guys would lay down a vapor barrior and plastic up part ways on the walls in case of any splatter and lay a gridwork of wire to help hold it all together. Does anything more need to be done for a quality job?

I've gotten quotes from $2k to $3.5k for this so far (just the concrete work, I'll get someone else to do the raising the HVAC registers), and am suprised by the price gap range. The higher end would rent a pump, the low end would wheel it in by overloading the job w/ guys to get the concrete in. I'm located in western arkansas, fairly blue collar town of ~80k people, do the quoted prices seem about right, low, high? Anything I need to specifically make sure the contractors do or ask them beforehand?

Any other advice?
Thanks again guys/gals, I've learned lots from this site already.

Phil

See less See more
#2 ·
What town in Western Arkansas? I love that area!

Did they offer you any references to call?

Pumping it in will add to the cost, it shouldn't add $1500 to the cost, but it will add some.

Coming from a contractor, the price seems really average for the work.

#6 ·
I third the motion. Frame it in. Would be fast, cheap and pretty painless. Rip some 2x6s to 4 3/4", lay em down 16" oc and across the ends, add some blocking and cover with 3/4" subfloor. Probably less than $400.

Actually I'd probably leave it sunken but if I was to fill it in it wouldn't be concrete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.