Filling In Plumbing From An In-ground Pool Demolition - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 29

Filling in plumbing from an in-ground pool demolition

Filling in my 30,000 gallon vinyl liner pool. Thankfully found that it had sand under it, instead of concrete like I feared. That at least makes part of the demo easier.

The pool filter is in the basement and all pipes lead into the basement. What is the best way to ensure that I have no ground water ever reach my basement after I fill in the cavity where the pool used to be?

Can I just pour concrete into the main drain until it appears to have entered the PVC line going into the house, then pour some concrete into all the other pipes going in/out, and simply cut the lines at the inside of the wall where they enter the house? That seems to make sense but I am not sure if there's any better approach. For years I feared that thousands of gallons of water from the pool will flood my basement; I want to never have to think about ground water seeping in through the existing plumbing.

Thanks!

Advertisement

genEus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

why not just cut it and cap it?

Advertisement

redman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

^Option #1: Would allow for re-use in the future.

Option #2: Remove the piping from the wall, fill in the holes with hydraulic cement. If you can't remove the pipe, cut them flush to the wall surface and fill with hydraulic cement.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 778

Cutting them off and capping them is the normal method. Leave caps a couple of inches away from the wall so they can easily be removed in the future. That would make it very easy to use those holes for future work, either plumbing or electrical.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 508

poor pool =( I live in Seattle and wish I had an in-ground!
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:52 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Cutting off as much excess plumbing and capping it seems logical to me. The dead plumbing you have under pressure the better of course.

As sort of a side but related comment? Some municipalities and environmental protection agencies have specific procedures and codes for filling in in-ground things like swimming pools. The goal is to protect ground water supplies, etc. Some require a permit and inspection so you might check with your folk to be sure you are in compliance and not facing fines or accusations from others somewhere down the road?

They are not draconian requirements and you are probably planning to fill in as they want anyhow. It may just be a hoop you should jump through officially.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:16 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

The above advice on how to handle the piping is good and so is the direction on checking for permits if you have not already done so. One of the reasons why you want to get a permit for demolition of an inground pool is that permits are often a municipalities method of putting a building or structure onto the property's assessment and also removing the building or structure from the assessment.
TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 622

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCamper View Post
One of the reasons why you want to get a permit for demolition of an inground pool is that permits are often a municipalities method of putting a building or structure onto the property's assessment and also removing the building or structure from the assessment.
You should also see a reduction in your home owners liability insurance.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_47 View Post
You should also see a reduction in your home owners liability insurance.
Rural homes that have no fire hydrants often get a reduction in homeowner rates with a pool, because the pool water can be used by a fire pumper truck in an emergency. Knowing insurance companies, it will probably be a wash.

Knowing government agencies. an automatic reduction in any tax is about as likely as snow in July in Florida.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 29

Thanks everyone for the replies.

On the topic of permits... I already started the demo. So far all I've done was drain the pool and rip out the vinyl liner - you could argue it's not much of a demo as anyone who'd want to install a new vinyl liner would have to do this first step anyhow...

But I am in a bit of a catch here because I have a shed on my property that had been built without a permit; I'm worried that someone who would come to check out the area for the demo/fill permit would give me crap for having a shed too close to the property line (although I can point to a half dozen of my neighbors who have the same thing going on)...

I'm just sharing at this point... But also was thinking that I'd leave it to the guys who'd be coming to fill it in to go out and get a permit from the town and just let what happens happen.

Advertisement

genEus is offline   Reply With Quote