Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Filling large hole in basement wall

There is a hole through the basement wall, 6" in diameter about 5' off the ground. When we had our inspection last year while buying the house the inspector and I surmised it was likely one of a few holes they left open when pouring the concrete for optional directions for septic, sump discharge, etc.. All the others were filled already but this one.

With all the rain lately water has started dribbling in through the hole and down the wall. I'd just like to fill it. What is the best way to fill a hole of this size? Can I do it while there is this much moisture in the hole/dirt?

Thanks all!

moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

I assume the hole is below grade on the outside of the wall. Are you able to dig down and get access to the hole? You could patch/fill the hole with a concrete mortar but you will have to seal the patch on the outside of the wall below grade. A couple of coats of tar sealer should do the trick once the mortar has set.

MJ Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Yes, this is probably 4' below grade outside... under landscaping rocks and my wife's flowers... Maybe it will have to wait until fall. A slight dribble is easier to deal with than a very angry wife!
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

For the love of god, do not dig up those flowers! Lol

I accidentally stepped on a flower once and was force to senselessly move 5 plants to new locations. It's not worth it. Wait for a better or more opportune time. But I'm afraid you will have to eventually dig.
MJ Force is offline   Reply With Quote