Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #1

Share |

Filling a large hole in basement!

Hello all,
This is my first post, i'm very new to household repairs. We bought a new home recently and after 2 months i think we got most things done except for the more expensive/harder repairs. There is a somewhat large hole in our furnace room that apparently was used as a chimney of some sort [IMG]http://www.********************/images/smilies/confused.gif[/IMG]
Anyway, we need to fill this hole up with something as there is water leaking into my furnace room after heavy rain. My uncle thought about using the expandable foam that comes in a can to fill it in but i don't think that would work. I think filling it in with concrete would be a better long term fix. I've attached pictures of the hole including the crack outside that i believe is causing water to flow in. How would i go about filling in the hole?
Thanks

rotteneggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

It looks like an ash clean-out door to me. I would suggest putting a cap over the flue at the top of the chimney to control the water. You can plug the door with concrete if you want, or brick and mortar.

jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:30 AM   #3

These are associated with fireplaces. Before you do anything. I'd find out why it's there and if you still need it. Water issues can be controlled with a chimney cap or repointing the chimney mortar.
The details are too sketchy to understand the best scenario for correction.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #4

I agree with Ron. Find out its purpose first before sealing it up. Better be sure than regret it later on.
MagicalHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
DIY Hack

Standard foam from a can won't work anyway. the rule of thumb is you don't want to try to fill a void bigger than your fist with spray foam, it will never fully cure. they make a two part foam that would work, but it's not the same as the stuff you pick up in a spray can at the local hardware store