Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2008, 09:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Filling holes in trim........is it going to be smooth

When I am filling my holes with wood filler on my trim work, I get the feeling that I will still be able to see the "ridge" , once it is painted (if you know what I mean) around the filled hole?

Is that true? Should I be filling the hole high and then sand it down? I just don't want it to show.

Thanks

yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Hi YM,

Most people fill slightly higher, and then sand. However, I see more bad looking jobs with this method than good. Additionally, it generally takes poeple longer to sand every area (2 nails every 16").

I prefer to:

1.) Fill and wipe smooth with a damp sponge.
2.) Later, after it dries, if necessary = add a little more and wipe smooth with a damp sponge.
3.) Prime and paint

This works for us, as no one likes to sand. There are no lumps, or irregularites.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Hi YM,

Most people fill slightly higher, and then sand. However, I see more bad looking jobs with this method than good. Additionally, it generally takes poeple longer to sand every area (2 nails every 16").

I prefer to:

1.) Fill and wipe smooth with a damp sponge.
2.) Later, after it dries, if necessary = add a little more and wipe smooth with a damp sponge.
3.) Prime and paint

This works for us, as no one likes to sand. There are no lumps, or irregularites.
That's what I do.

Filler will contract when it dries. The thinner the coat the less it will contract. The first coat fills the hole and the second coat fixes the slight dimple.

If you push too hard with a finger it will make a dimple also. There is a fine line between pushing too hard and too light (which will leave a lot to be sanded).
Old 12-06-2008, 11:26 AM   #4

If you used a hammer and nails on MDF trim, it's probable that the nail with mushroom the mdf some around where the head of the nail. I ran out of nails for my nail gun and noticed this after I painted. All the nails with the nail gun were not noticeable. If they are air nailer nails, use just enough filler to cover the hole then sand. If it shrinks, add a little more filler then sand smooth when dry. Don't lump it on.

If you used a hammer and nails on MDF, I found if I take a hard block of wood wrapped with sandpaper, I can sand out the mushroom. The only problem then is you need extra coats of primer and a few good coats of paint or you can see the dull area where you sanded through the pre-primed surface.
KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHouse75 View Post
If you used a hammer and nails on MDF trim, it's probable that the nail with mushroom the mdf some around where the head of the nail. I ran out of nails for my nail gun and noticed this after I painted. All the nails with the nail gun were not noticeable. If they are air nailer nails, use just enough filler to cover the hole then sand. If it shrinks, add a little more filler then sand smooth when dry. Don't lump it on.

If you used a hammer and nails on MDF, I found if I take a hard block of wood wrapped with sandpaper, I can sand out the mushroom. The only problem then is you need extra coats of primer and a few good coats of paint or you can see the dull area where you sanded through the pre-primed surface.
Who said anything about using MDF?
Old 12-06-2008, 12:04 PM   #6

Please read the post before replying. See the word "If" in the post???

If using wood, the mushrooming is not an issue. The poster doesn't specify mdf or wood, just wood filler which can be used on mdf or wood.
KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:50 PM   #7

I use bondo auto body filler. No risk of a dimple, and it will perfectly conceal nail holes and gaps with very little sanding required.

Using painters putty or caulk, I always can find the nail holes by looking for the dimples.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:06 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for your help.

I will just have to get the hang of not putting in too much or too little.
I guess if have to go over it twice, I will. I just don't want little dimples showing everywhere.
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #9

There are many good materials for patching the nail holes. I agree with KCT: Painters putty and caulking over-shrink. FWIW: I prefer to use DAP non-shrinking patching compound.