Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Filling furring strip holes in block foundation wall/Dryloc question

Cliff notes version:
1) Sealing holes where furring strips were attached to the walls- use hydraulic cement or epoxy?

2) Drylock over the area or use something else?

Long version:

I've done lots of research on this topic, but was hoping to get some specific recommendations for my particular application. I've started my basement remodel so the first thing I have to address are the walls.

Background:
House is block construction full basement walls, built in 1955. I am the second owner, been there for 1.5 years now (yes the previous owners lived there for 55 years). There's no sump pump- but from the construction documents there's a french drain installed that drains to the sewer system (that would be not to code today...)
It had god awful paneling in the basement- where the furring strips were nailed right into the concrete wall . I plan on fully studding the basement and adding insulation. But first:

One corner of the house had some minor water issues, during the home inspection the inspector noted a higher moisture content in the wall. And when it rained there would be a damp spot appear on the baseboard. However- it never pooled or even collected on the floor. This was corrected fairly easily- the outside of the house started sloping towards the wall, so I spent a few days last year with a shovel raising the level around the house and putting in window wells in that area. I tore out all the paneling and the water intrusion was evident from the paint discoloration and flaking, some very small mold growth along some cracks I cleaned with bleach.

After correcting the outside, during torrential downpours- I get a *little* bit of wetness of where the holes of the furring strips were nailed into the wall with cleats. It's pretty minor- I have to be looking straight into the hole with a flashlight to see it shimmer a little.

My plan- is to use some hydraulic cement to patch the holes and cracks. But I'm reading that hydraulic cement is not good, as it only lasts a few years but an epoxy is better?

And then, I plan on using Dryloc over the walls where the water issue is/was. As stated previously, I believe I've taken care of the vast majority of the water issue- which wasn't even that bad to begin with. Just some real minor stuff when there is very heavy rain. Any advice?

The corner at issue: (that's peel away 1, as I'm stripping the paint) The dirt you see some of it is rust from the cleats where the furring strips were.

cbrc5eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:42 PM   #2

Anyone?

cbrc5eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:17 PM   #3

The issue with hydraulic cement is that it sets up in a heartbeat. The batches would need to be small and the hole a decent size so you could get enough in to seal it.
Are you using the Peel Away on the wall with the holes? If you are, you'll need to clean out the holes for the cement to bond to the block.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:19 PM   #4

I'd use 2" foam board glued to the (not-drylocked) wall with a framed wall in front for wiring, the BSC way: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ent-insulation

Use the scrap on the rims: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...m-at-rim-joist

Gary
Old 07-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #5

Instead of trying to fill all the holes and messing with Drylok, I'd have an inch or so of foam insulation sprayed on the wall.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote