Filling In A Concrete Archway - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Filling in a concrete archway

Hello DIYers! After lurking on the forum for months I am posing my first question and have high hopes. My beautiful 85-yr-old co-op building has beautiful concrete archways. I'd like to fill in one of them, creating a shallow alcove on the living room side with shelves. This could work nicely because the archway is considerably thicker than a regular wall- almost 9 inches.

One idea I had was to first mount the shelves to the concrete (need help with how to do that!) and then use them almost like studs to attach a piece of cut-to-fit drywall into the opening. All I would have to do then would be tape and mud the seams from the back. Is that a valid plan? Is it the best plan? If it is a workable plan, would one thickness of drywall be sufficient or would doubling up be safer?

I'm open to all ideas and advice!

Advertisement

KellyAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 688

Post a picture if you really want some replys.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the tip, joecaption. Here are pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Filling in a concrete archway-img-20120802-00187.jpg   Filling in a concrete archway-img-20120802-00186.jpg  
KellyAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

you could pre build a shelving system with plans to attatch drywall to the back of it and slide it in there. maybe build the shelf to the bottom of the arch and leave a portion of the arch exposed above the shelving system. Or, attach cleats to the concrete sides with tap con screws spaced to accommodate your desired shelving spacing and leave the back set in 1/2" for drywall to go there, nail/screw drywall to backside of shelves...
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concrete wall , create alcove