Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #1

Share |

figuring window clear opening?

Is there a simple way to calculate the clear opening for a new window? I understand what the calculation represents; its just that I am designing a new addition and want to be sure the 2nd fl bedroom windows meet the egress standards, and when I go to mfg.'s sizes i see nothing on this! obviously rough openings etc that they list don't do it. am i missing something obvious?

yellowkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

You can easily look up the codes, but here's a simple cartoon type thing for you.

http://www2.porterco.org/uploads/med...ws_code_01.pdf

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #3

thanks and that does say it! my bad on the original post but, what I meat to say was how do I figure out the clear opening on a manufacturer's window -- i did look up the code first, but was wondering how to figure out if a given window meets the code as I look at the manufacturer's specs.
yellowkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Email or call them.

Most have egress calculators for their windows and will be able to tell you what the net clear dimensions are.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

A point here that so many DIY people (and even pros) miss is that just "meeting code" with an installation can sometimes be just downright stupid and dangerous.

What is the entire point of an egress window? To keep the inspector off your back? To get away as cheaply as possible? Or is it so that you won't have to one day stand at the graveside of a loved one wishing you had ONLY given them a realistic and workable escape from the fire that took their lives?

This is one of those times when we have to actually THINK, and go way beyond just squeaking past the codes. And if you are thinking this way, you will probably be looking at windows that FAR EXCEED code requirement.

When you do finally get those egress measurements, you should automatically be asking, "OK, what can you sell me that's at least twice as good as that?"

Last edited by Willie T; 06-22-2013 at 10:35 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
forcedreno2012 (06-22-2013), Pittsville (06-22-2013)
Old 06-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
Renovating My Land Yacht

Really good point Willie and one that should be added to the code.

We looked at houses before we bought the one up north and some of the egress windows were tiny. I am a shorty skinny Minnie and on a few of them even I could not have gotten through without some difficulty let alone the hubby who is a big boy.

Robyn
forcedreno2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #7
Old School

And it is also not just you and yours getting out... but the ability of a fully garbed fire fighter, complete with big jacket, boots, big hat, mask, and oxygen tank on his or her back... carrying an ax and maybe dragging a hose to be able to pass easily through that opening. Both coming and going.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:49 PM   #8

Egress window charts; https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...33otStRi7Aff7g

Gary