Fieldstone Foundation Repair Question - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2011, 10:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fieldstone foundation repair question

I have read through a number of threads on fieldstone foundation repair and have seen the consensus for using straight lime or "low portland" mortars for this work. I have a old stone foundation that has a couple medium sized cracks - 1/4" wide or so. There are also a couple places where the old mortar has fallen away and revealed a gap that appears to go pretty deep into the foundation.

I was originally thinking of squeezing grout into those deep gaps and letting gravity take it from there. Now, knowing that I should avoid portland cement, I need to figure out the best way to work a lime mortar into the deep recesses of the foundation. From people's descriptions I assume that it wouldn't flow the way that grout would.

On the whole, the foundation is pretty sound, but I'd like to tighten things up where I can.

Thanks.

Advertisement

fieldstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Fieldstone foundation repair question

I used rubber gloves and made balls out of the lime mortar and just shoved them in. Keep shoving in the balls until the void is filled. This is the best / fastest way that I found.

Advertisement

OffRoadAudio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fieldstone , foundation , lime