Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #1

Share |

Fiberglass Shower Repair

I have a fiberglass shower unit with no access to rear & need to replace valve.
If I cut around valve w/ dremel, can I re-use the cut out piece & repair it with some type of f-glass repair kit then sand & polish out the seam? Any suggestions?

{2 threads on same issue merged}

Mr.Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
the Musigician

Fiberglass Shower Repair

Your valves should be replaceable from the front, do you have a picture you can post?

DM

Old 03-27-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
remodeling pro

Fiberglass Shower Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Your valves should be replaceable from the front, do you have a picture you can post?
M
I think he means the entire valve body, so he needs access to the pipe connections. Check at the local plumbing supply houses. There are several oversized trims manufactured to cover cut out boo boo's. They come in a few shapes (oval, round, rectangular), and one of the may be big enough to do the trick. If not, they also manufacture very long trim plates for exactly this situation where you need to open up for access to the valve body and shower riser.
You will not sucessfully match the gel coat with any patch work.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
the Musigician

Fiberglass Shower Repair

True, but in most cases, it's simply the cartridge/o-rings/washers that needs replacing if it's simply a leak.
This is done through the front in most units. Of course, this may not be the case here.

DM
Old 03-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #5

Fiberglass Shower Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pappy View Post
I have a fiberglass shower unit with no access to rear & need to replace valve.
If I cut around valve w/ dremel, can I re-use the cut out piece & repair it with some type of f-glass repair kit then sand & polish out the seam? Any suggestions?

{2 threads on same issue merged}
It would help if you supplied some details. Are you converting to a pressure balanced valve from something else? Is ther valve body you have not repairable? Is this purely an ascetic replacement? What's the issue with the unit you have?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #6

Talking

Fiberglass Shower Repair

Ron6519 & others:
Sorry about lack of info on 1st post. The valve that is installed is actually a shower/tub valve that the tub portion has been capped off. During the winter months residule water froze & cracked the valve body. So now I'm left with having to replace the whole valve assy. Cut and solder new pipe. The only option is to dremel out enough room to work & try to use the cut out piece and re-fiberglass it in or find a large trim plate to cover the hole.
So I was wondering if anyone had success w/ replacing said cut out & having it look decent. Going to work on it Tues. Try to get pics. to post! Thanks Fellas

Mr.Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote