DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Building & Construction (
-   -   Fiberglass Insulation: How Do I Cover the Attic? (

chueh 11-05-2010 07:43 PM

Fiberglass Insulation: How Do I Cover the Attic?
I laid a few Johns Manville R-25 insulation in the attic. Now I have no idea how to cover the rest, because the attic is not leveled with too many hinderences. In picture L (left corner of the house), that's where I laid the R-25 there. However, I did not go further, because I don't see any wooden plank underneath the loose insulation beyond where I stopped. I am afraid to go further (I might poke a hole in the ceiling if I step further).


In picture F (behind the furnace), there is no way I can pass thru the area where the huge furnace is. I was standing right in front the furnace where there is the wooden plank.

In picture M (middle section of house), again, I don't see any wooden plank underneath the loose insulation. It's too much up and down, so would R-25 going to work? First thing I need to solve is: how am I going to go there?

The picture below is a close up for picture M

OK... I posted the questions below somewhere else once:

Please advice me:
1. how I need to proceed, such as a safe way to step on the "floor" of the attic, for I don't see the wooden plank "floor" anywhere else, except the very one I walk in the attic.
2. Is R-25 good for what I do? The loose insulation is only about a few inches deep. I guess that's why my utility bill is so high. I am a non-handy type person. I cannot BLOW the LOOSE insulation without any equipment or injure myself....
Thank you

Then, I got a good answer advising me to use blow-in type and rent it free with a minimum of purchase. I was going to do it, but I asked him another question about how far the blower can shoot the insulation out. If I were standing about 1/3 in the corner of the attic, would I be able to shoot the insulation far enough to the other corner. His answer was NO.

I would still need to install the planks myself, so I can step on them from place to place... So then... my very initial problem is still present. Switching from one type of insulation to another would not make my life easier. Plus, I don't have a truck to haul the humongous blower either.

Then, I am thinking.... if the attic is all flat, blow-in is actually easier, but what about the MOUNTS of those 45 degree angled walls and 90 degree angled walls that my living room cathedral ceiling and bed room tray ceiling create? Now, thinking about it, the blow-in insulation WOULD NOT stay on the walls, unless I put a net to them! ...

That means actually I would be better off using batts???? so I can use the weight of the batts to cascade down along the walls?

Anyhow, doesn't matter if what I think is right or not, I would like to have suggestions on WHAT type of insulation I would need, one type specifically or combination?

If I installed the planks for walking to a certain point before I put any kind of insulation down, I would have to take them off before I can shoot the insulation out between the joints. That's kind of a pain. Are there any LIGHT board sturdy enough for me to step on and not sink down between the joints in the market? I am a tiny person and I cannot carry the compressed board around, laying it down and taking it off back and forth.


concretemasonry 11-05-2010 08:58 PM

The sensible thing to do would be to hire a contractor.

In the end, the cost difference would not be much (maybe zero if you considered all the running, returning and hauling equipment an materials. It certainly would be many times faster because they know how to do it best. A contractor will probably propose cellulose, which is superior for this application.

jklingel 11-05-2010 11:18 PM

I think Dick is right here. The "planks" you can't see are probably the rafters that are buried under some kind of blown-in insulation, no? You may be better off hiring this one out. From your pictures, it looks a bit hap-hazard up there, and someone with more experience may be able to get things done properly. Good luck. j

Gary in WA 11-08-2010 02:33 PM

Those supports are holding up the rafters for the roof, called purlins and struts- pp. #39:

With all your HVAC in there, have you ever thought of building a drop ceiling and insulate it instead? A closed system:

A pro would know. With all the steps in the elevation and the ducting, SPF the slope ceiling and the new flat one (just above the duct) nay be the way to go….


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1