Fiber Cement Vrs Vinyl - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Fiber Cement Vrs Vinyl

I realize that fiber cement is about 20% more cost then vinyl siding.

Whats yalls opinion on it?

Vinyl: Transferable Life time Warranty but flimsy

Fiber Cement: 50yr Warranty-Unprimed , Straight corners/edges as well as solid but doesn't have channels like vinyl

Oh and this is for a 1 level 1600 sqft house

Advertisement

DukeLewis87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 174

Fiber Cement Vrs Vinyl

its your preference. what do you like the look of more. fibre cement costs more than 20% at least here it does. vinyl only runs about $4.50 a peice at my cost.. fibre cement is over $15 and only has 1/2 the coverage

Advertisement

woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,292

Fiber Cement Vrs Vinyl

+1

Depends on your preference.

I see more Fiber Cement done improperly than vinyl these days so make sure your contractor knows what he is doing.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:13 AM   #4
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Fiber Cement Vrs Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
+1

Depends on your preference.

I see more Fiber Cement done improperly than vinyl these days so make sure your contractor knows what he is doing.
Hey Eric, So what is the "Fiber" in Fiber Cement? Anyone?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:30 AM   #5
Roofmaster

Fiber Cement Vrs Vinyl

never mind Here is the scoop from wiki:

Ludwig Hatschek patented fiber cement in Austria in 1901 and named it "Eternit" based on the Latin term "aeternitas" meaning everlasting. In 1903 the company Schweizerische Eternit-Werke AG began fabricating the material in the city of Niederurnen in Switzerland. Early fiber cement panels used Asbestos Fibers to add strength. Fibre cement products came about as a replacement for the widely used "Asbestos Cement Sheeting" product manufactured by James Hardie until the late 1980s.

Users of fibre cement sidings seeking for high performance and reliable green building materials should source products having been tested by accredited laboratories and proven that they are 100% free from asbestos or other harmful materials such as sepiolite, inorganic fibre or formaldehyde.

Apparently they now use cellulose fibers. That's Paper.

If I was you, Id use a high quality Solid Vinyl siding. Something fishy about the other stuff in my book, like they used to say caulk the butt ends, now they say do not caulk the but ends, put felt strips behind. (Just like we used to do with stratolite, which was asbestos based, and a great material which is still on my Dads house since 1948.) Believe it or not, no really good substitute has ever been found for asbestos, as far as I know. I don't think cellulose, which is organic, is going to cut the mustard, but I'm not a scientist, either.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:04 AM   #6
Exterior Construction

Fiber Cement Vrs Vinyl

James,

You answered your own question.

I think the stuff is fine but most of what I seeing being installed is done improperly. No flashing behind the joints, no edge priming, improper dust controls when cutting, poor flashing details, etc.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:22 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 686

Fiber Cement Vrs Vinyl

I by far have seen more vinyl jobs done wrong, in fact that's what I spend most of my golden years working on. Going back and redoing siding jobs.
Both types need someone installing it that gives a damm and has figured out that water runs down hill.

I'm not a big fan of James Hardee for a few reasons.
Far harder to install.
It's brittle, if there's damage to the wall from something like a baseball hitting it, rock thrown from the mower, it a royal paint to repair. With vinyl it's about a 10 min. fix with simple tools.
It holds paint well, but it still will need to be painted adding to the total lifetime cost.
When I quote siding jobs I quote vinyl that's .046 thick not the cheap box store .040 thick.
I've also found that by using Dutch Lap or beaded vinyl it adds the needed corrigations to help it stay laying flat.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:56 AM   #8
Exterior Construction

Fiber Cement Vrs Vinyl

As a numerical total, I see more vinyl done improperly.

As a percentage, more fiber cement is done wrong.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #9

Fiber Cement Vrs Vinyl

The house is an L Shaped House 8ft exterior siding height raised off the ground with 2' of visible foundation block.

I plan to seal the block white with white rock edge around the house. I have torn the old wooden lap siding/soffit/fascia/fascia face board. Replaced with white fascia and wooden soffits that have grove lines every 8". Overlayed 1/2" osb on the the existing 1" thick underlayment solid wood. Tyveked

I like the edges in fiber cement but what about caulking? Splitting? Rotting?
Price: 6.67$ for 12' x 8.25" (Menards) 50 yr warranty

Vinyl is cheaper which is a good thing sometimes.. Replacing pieces and trying to match color back? Window/Door trim is shady :/
Price: 3.71$ for 12'x7" (Menards)

I prefer fiber cement but just waiting to see if i really see any to much negative comments on it. I like sharpness in a house.

Last edited by DukeLewis87; 05-31-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
Roofmaster

Fiber Cement Vrs Vinyl

I used to do a lot of repair work on stratolite siding with my dad. That was made by Manville, i think over in Asbestos City (Manville, NJ) Two small towns away. I still remember that sign as you entered the town.

That siding came in two foot by one foot pieces, and you cut it with a gillotine type tool. Somebody borrowed his and I still hear about it today, and he is 93. (He forgot who borrowed it) LOL

At the joints of that siding you put a 4 inch strip of asphalt saturated felt behind the joint. The siding came with a pack of pre-cut strips.

It was good stuff, but it could be damaged pretty easily with baseballs etc. Thats why we had quite a bit of repair work. Kids used to play outside with actual baseballs and bats, not on computers.

I put a good quality vinyl siding on the first house I bought in 1980. I went by it about two weeks ago, and it still looks great. As Joe said, it has to be installed correctly, and you must use secondary moisture protection, in spite of what some local yokels allow.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:02 PM   #11

Fiber Cement Vrs Vinyl

Im trying to roughly figure out material list complete visa versa.. Im having a hard time figuring out the supply list for a single wall, inside corners as well as outside.

Trim size width on corners? baseboard if there is one? top trim board? around the windows? 2"4"6"8"12"? Price difference matters drastically between sizes

Theres really not to much info on the trim detail part. And it seems that would be a big part of the expenditure.

How do I know what size trim I would use for top/bottom/start board/inside corners/outside corners...????

Last edited by DukeLewis87; 05-31-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:52 PM   #12

Fiber Cement Vrs Vinyl

Please help.... Im tired of pulling my hair out trying to figure out whats used.

Corners and inside corners. What do people use for Fiber Cement? Please :/
Old 05-31-2013, 06:12 PM   #13
registered

Rewards Points: 524

Fiber Cement Vrs Vinyl

If money not a problem. Fiber cement.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:18 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 564

Fiber Cement Vrs Vinyl

I used one piece PVC corner boards for the outside corners with a channel that the siding slid into so there's no visible caulk line. For the inside corners, my contractor came up with the idea of using vinyl J channel to hide the caulk line. House is white so painting was not an issue.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #15
Exterior Construction

Fiber Cement Vrs Vinyl

+1

There are PVC outcorners that are available pre-routed with a return channel for the siding. Make for a much cleaner look.

Advertisement