Fiber Cement Shake Siding Around Windows - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fiber Cement Shake Siding around windows

I'm installing Maxitile Fiber Cement Shake (Straight Edge) Siding on a newly enclosed porch. (See the Maxitile website, MultiShakes for details) These are 16" x 48" panels with a 7" maximum exposure (so a 9" overlap). I'm blind nailing the overlap, then putting the next course on 7" above, and repeating the process.

When I come to a window or the top of the wall, I assume that I have to cut off individual shakes to appropriate height to meet the trim at the top and cover the overlap on the previous course, but I'm not sure.

My questions:

1. Is there another way to do this besides cutting individual shakes and face-nailing? (The trim, 7/8 cedar, is already up)

2. If I do have to face nail them, is there a way to hide the nail heads, or do I just live with them? Should I countersink those nail heads slightly and then cover them with fibercement patch?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Advertisement

smithta3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

Hi, Just a galvanized type nail, ( 4d common galvanized ) most likely for your application where face nailing is needed. You do not want to break the face of the siding with the nail ( countersink) , just nail until the back side of the head of the nail makes it to the siding and another slight tap to snug it up. once the siding is stained the nail heads should blend in ok.

Advertisement

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Much appreciated.
smithta3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fibercement shakes