Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2010, 09:40 AM   #1

Share |

Few Shed questions

Hey everyone,

Starting to plan a much needed shed for the backyard. Alot of sheds i see and some sites i've seen online show people leveling PT 4x4's on top of cinder blocks as "skids" and then building their floor frame over that.

Thoughts on that? If i'm doing an 8x8 shed do you think two skids would be sufficient or would i need 3?

I had been struggling for awhile over using 3/4 osb for the floor but i think i'm going to bite the bullet and use 3/4 PT plywood.

Going to use SmartSide for the siding.

Roof:
Somewhat debating truss vs birds beak but leaning heavily toward truss as it is much easier. not sure what is more expensive though.

Does anyone have any links that show truss diagrams for a gabel style roof?

Also debating shingles vs ondura corrugated roof but leaning towards shingles. If i use 1/2 osb, felt paper, and shingles i think it would cost around 100 bucks. If i used ondura i think it would be in that ball park or more. The ondura is much faster and easier but the shingles is clearly going to look better and last longer (assuming i install them properly )

Any comments, suggestions, or words of wisdom are appreciated.
hankscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:59 AM   #2

Few Shed questions

Mines on the ground with cement as small "foundation"
Up on skids here just means a skunk or some other animal will make a home under the shed
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #3

Few Shed questions

yea my neighbor has a ground hog who lives under theirs. I going to put down a ton or so of stone dust under the shed so i dont think it will be as inviting.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:36 AM   #4

Few Shed questions

Anyone have any good links to Truss building?

Definitely going to do an 8x10 up on concrete blocks. PT2x6 floor frame with 3/4inch PT plywood. 2x4 framing and smart side. Gable style roof. I have plenty of info and diagrams about building a ridgeline and cutting all the birds beaks.

What i cant seem to find is a diagram of using truss's. I think building truss's, putting purlins across them, and using that ondura roofing will be alot easier for me.