Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #1

Share |

fence questions

Was going to build a 6' privacy fence with the pre-fab panels but the more I think about it probably easier and better results if I stick build it, especially because I will be doing a lot of the work myself little by little. It seems like a a major pain in the butt to get posts exactly 8' apart and deal with any variations.

So few questions:

1. Stringers - should these be PT wood? Also concerned about finding 2x4 that are actually straight - most of the wood you see has some curve and isn't true for the entire length of the board.

2. Will likely use screws as I do not have a nail gun. How many screws per panel to attach to fence? Will probably use the 3" stockade/gothic style pickets.

thanks

Last edited by snosurfa7; 06-07-2012 at 01:32 PM.
snosurfa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #2

fence questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by snosurfa7 View Post
It seems like a a major pain in the butt to get posts exactly 8' apart and deal with any variations.

This statement tells me you maybe should not be building this.

PT would be a good choice. As far as straight. If you look you can find 2x4 8 footers that are farily straight. But wood is gonna do what it wants anyway.

8 screws.

RYANINMICHIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #3

fence questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYANINMICHIGAN View Post
This statement tells me you maybe should not be building this.
I wouldn't go that far. High precision comes at a high cost. When you install a door or window, you have about an inch at each edge to fudge with shims. Even when laying a foundation, being very slightly out of square can be corrected by fudging the mudsill placement. If the OP believes one particular approach has a high burden of precision, and another less, I think it's unfair, and even rude, to suggest he is in over his head. I commend him for thinking through the project and considering the pros and cons of different approaches--something many other posters fail to exercise before taking on a project.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cortell For This Useful Post:
ratherbefishing (06-07-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #4

fence questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortell View Post
I wouldn't go that far. High precision comes at a high cost. When you install a door or window, you have about an inch at each edge to fudge with shims. Even when laying a foundation, being very slightly out of square can be corrected by fudging the mudsill placement. If the OP believes one particular approach has a high burden of precision, and another less, I think it's unfair, and even rude, to suggest he is in over his head. I commend him for thinking through the project and considering the pros and cons of different approaches--something many other posters fail to exercise before taking on a project.

Gettting fence posts 8 feet apart. I would not call that high precision. I would call it doing it corectly. If you don't want want to learn how to do it right the first time don't bother doing it. It will look like a hack job.
RYANINMICHIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #5

fence questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYANINMICHIGAN View Post
Gettting fence posts 8 feet apart. I would not call that high precision. I would call it doing it corectly. If you don't want want to learn how to do it right the first time don't bother doing it. It will look like a hack job.
You are missing the point. But please, don't let me stop you from trying to make yourself feel better by putting other people down in silly ways. Enjoy.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote