Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2010, 09:32 AM   #1

Share |

fence problems

hey guys

i originally posted this in carpentry but i think that i should have posted here. i didnt know how to move it. sorry for the duplicate post

i just put up a 8ft privacy fence and need to put a double gate to span across 11ft driveway....i didnt think ahead when i poured the driveway and set a post against the house in the concrete. i plan on putting casters on the gates to reduce stress on the hinges and post so there is no sagging....i have a 4 x 4 post on the outside of the driveway to mount to.

1st question...is the 4 x 4 i have mounted now going to b ok with the weight of the outside gate since i wil be using casters....if not i can lag bolt another one to that one.

2nd question...what is the best way to mount the inside post next to the house on the concrete. and should i go ahead and plan on a 6 x 6

3rd question what is the sturdiest gate frame i can build

the gate will be a rounded top as i stepped down to 6ft when i got to the back of the house..the middle of the gate will be 8ft. i used standard 1 x 6 for the entire fence...not the regular dog ear fencing which added some weight as will as a 2 x 4 top ledger....i know i cant use the ledger on the rounded top but i want it to be as sturdy as possible...

sorry for the long post....got to get this done...the wife is on my a$$

thanks in advance

greenwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:32 PM   #2

fence problems

What material are you planning to use? With any planned mass, I'd go with 6x6 posts. The 4x4's will bend just as it clears the ground.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote