Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #1

Share |

Fence posts how far apart?

Im planning to put up 6 ft wood fence (common stockade fencing) they are 6x8 panels, i am going to buy the 4x4 8ft posts. Now i was going to space the posts 8ft apart so the panels could meet at the posts but i also heard of spacing them 6ft apart to make the fence more sturdy, some reason this does not make sense to me. Anyone who has experience with this clear this up? What is the best way to space them?

Ckb3216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckb3216 View Post
Im planning to put up 6 ft wood fence (common stockade fencing) they are 6x8 panels, i am going to buy the 4x4 8ft posts. Now i was going to space the posts 8ft apart so the panels could meet at the posts but i also heard of spacing them 6ft apart to make the fence more sturdy, some reason this does not make sense to me. Anyone who has experience with this clear this up? What is the best way to space them?
6' Spacing with 8' panels? Your right, doesn't make sense.....you still need a post where the two panels meet......

If you do the posts right....8' will be fine.....

Make sure you use PT posts.....and if it's more than 4 or 5 posts....rent an auger.....unless your into S&M and just want the exercise.....

The way I have done posts....I set the 2 ends.....plumb and straight....then I run a string from top to top and and another one at the base....then align the other posts to those strings.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #3

make sure your preservative treated post are rated for ground contact. This has more treatment than normal treated wood. Not all post are rated for ground contact.

Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #4

8ft spacing seems excessive, particularly for a 6ft high panel considering possible wind load.

Is 4ft spacing too much work? Alternatively, if wind load is not an issue (perhaps sheltered location), could you bolt horizontal rails of 2x4s to the tops and bottoms of the posts, and then screw the panels to the rails?

Last edited by tony.g; 08-20-2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: poore speling
tony.g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #5

Yeah. I think 8 FT spacing should work fine, dont think wind would be much of an issue. Im a real Newb when it comes to fencing and decking and all, i would like to use screws not nails, any suggestions on the size? What type etc. ?
Ckb3216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
JOATMON

Well....coming from Texas where there are only 3 types of fences....Stockade (wood), chainlink and barbed wire.....I have never seen a stockade fence panel on less than 8'....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote