Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2007, 11:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fence Post Problem

I'm currently replacing the Wooden Privacy Fence that surrounds my property. For a span of about 30 feet, my fence runs over a city installed, concrete culvert box. Whoever originally installed the fence simply set shorter wooden posts on top of the cement. I need to know if there is a simple, durable way to support my fenceposts that will be on top of the 3" slab of concrete that is hollow underneath. My best guess is to drill holes through it and install rebar to re-inforce my fence posts and then insert the re-bar into pre-drilled holes in the post. If you have any better ideas, please send them my way.

cdubim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Fence Post Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubim View Post
...snip...My best guess is to drill holes through it and install rebar to re-inforce my fence posts and then insert the re-bar into pre-drilled holes in the post...
Um....not so sure I'd go drilling a hole in city maintained property, you may end up with a very large repair bill. It's not wheather what you propose would work or not, it may be perceived that a hole would cause premature degredation of the structure.

Call the city, explain your situation, and find out limitations, and maybe they'll have a suggestion on how to deal with this. Go in, don't call, and have a positive attitude when explaing your situation.

Rip

RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Fence Post Problem

The culvert was installed years ago before both mine and my neighbors houses were here. We have recently had problems with clogging in the culvert...it directs a seasonal creek and in the winter after a heave rain it can't handle the water. The city said they couldn't do anything because the culvert is now on private property, (my neighbors and mine) I personally had to squirm through it and clear debris i.e. patio umbrellas/furniture, large logs and about 2 yard of nice mulch stuck behind it. They'be given me the go-ahead to do what I will. I think however, that I'll be going with the Simson strong-tie. It's a specially designed bracket used for attaching beams....house frame.....to the concrete foundation. If I brace the top with a double, overlapping rail, I think it will work nicely. Thanks for the legal advice.
cdubim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Fence Post Problem

No legal advice here...just didn't want you to get burned! The details you provide help and the Simpson brackets usually do a good job, make sure you get fasteners and such that can handle the moisture.
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote