Fence Pickets Bending - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 97

Fence pickets bending

ok first time fence builder and the project went fairly well except I did not build my top support rail tall enough so now I am very concerned about the eventually warping of my pickets. I have attached a pic that shows what I am talking about.

Is there a way that is aesthetically pleasing that would solve or help correct this issue??
Attached Thumbnails
Fence pickets bending-img_0063.jpg  

Advertisement

BigRedFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,524

Fence pickets bending

Probably too green still when you put up the fence. If it was a company that put it up, talk to them. If you did it, all you can do is watch and see what happens, then replace the ones that warp later.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #3

Fence pickets bending

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Probably too green still when you put up the fence. If it was a company that put it up, talk to them. If you did it, all you can do is watch and see what happens, then replace the ones that warp later.
ya thats what I figured didnt know if there was a way that would secure the tops of the boards flat but still make it look pretty as that is important to my wife
Old 04-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #4

Fence pickets bending

Read about this on another thread

wonder if that would do the trick

"A decorative cap consisting of a 2 x 4 on edge along the top of the boards, capped with another on the flat, to form a tee or modified ell would help."
Old 04-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,472

Fence pickets bending

About all you can do at this point is to screw a 2x strong back just below the top of the fence boards. Two screws (not nails) in every board into that.

The sooner the better or by the end of summer you're going to have a real mess on your hands
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
BigRedFan (04-30-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 09:39 PM   #6

Fence pickets bending

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
About all you can do at this point is to screw a 2x strong back just below the top of the fence boards. Two screws (not nails) in every board into that.

The sooner the better or by the end of summer you're going to have a real mess on your hands
Need to find some examples of what this looks like from the back
Old 04-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Fence pickets bending

Aesthetically pleasing will be a challenge. The top horizontal support should have been about 8 inched down from the top. If the pickets are left unrestrained, they are really going to get pretty bad. I guess you could splice a piece of 4 x 4 to the top of the existing posts with another 2 x 4 sistered to the face of the existing posts, then add another horizontal support. That might be the easiest approach.
Attached Thumbnails
Fence pickets bending-post.jpg  

Last edited by jagans; 04-30-2013 at 10:30 PM.
jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
BigRedFan (04-30-2013), Dave Sal (05-02-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,702

Fence pickets bending

I suggest you forget what it's going to look like and start looking for some rail road rail or I-beam in an attempt to stabilize it. Any more wood you put up is going to be the same quality and then after it bows / warps it will be a real mess.

This is no fault of yours but just what we have to deal with for lumber these days and the reason synthetic material is becoming more popular with each passing day.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
BigRedFan (04-30-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 10:29 PM   #9

Fence pickets bending

Forgive my ignorance but how would I utilize the I beams

Ultimately I am concerned with making this fence durable while also making it looks good
Old 04-30-2013, 10:38 PM   #10

Fence pickets bending

Maybe a dumb question but if I ran a 2x4 all around the fence perimeter about 3 inches from the top of the fence but it was not attached to the posts or other rails in any way would that help

Or would a better solution be to do that and then add on to the 4x4 posts using some brackets and braces??
Old 04-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #11

Fence pickets bending

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Aesthetically pleasing will be a challenge. The top horizontal support should have been about 8 inched down from the top. If the pickets are left unrestrained, they are really going to get pretty bad. I guess you could splice a piece of 4 x 4 to the top of the existing posts with another 2 x 4 sistered to the face of the existing posts, then add another horizontal support. That might be the easiest approach.
That is exactly what i am going to do. Seems like it would make it structurally sound
Old 04-30-2013, 10:50 PM   #12
Roofmaster

Fence pickets bending

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedFan View Post
That is exactly what i am going to do. Seems like it would make it structurally sound
You might want to locate some No. 1 KDAT PT 2x4's to limit the twisting after installation.

The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
BigRedFan (04-30-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #13

Fence pickets bending

Quote:
You might want to locate some No. 1 KDAT PT 2x4's to limit the twisting after installation.
Just to reinforce my question though it would no good if I installed a 2x4 rail but did not connect it to the posts in anyway correct
Old 04-30-2013, 11:22 PM   #14
Roofmaster

Fence pickets bending

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedFan View Post
Just to reinforce my question though it would no good if I installed a 2x4 rail but did not connect it to the posts in anyway correct
There would be no vertical member to keep the top of the fence on plane. Personally, I think the illustration I posted would look a lot more like you never made a mistake in the first place. If you want to make it really strong, you could add a 5/4 by 6 to both sides and create A U Beam. Break aluminum caps for the posts with a flange that sticks up behind the rail, and it will finish everything off nicely. Its up to you, of course, you have to live with it.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:28 PM   #15

Fence pickets bending

Quote:
There would be no vertical member to keep the top of the fence on plane. Personally, I think the illustration I posted would look a lot more like you never made a mistake in the first place. If you want to make it really strong, you could add a 5/4 by 6 to both sides and create A U Beam. Break aluminum caps for the posts with a flange that sticks up behind the rail, and it will finish everything off nicely. Its up to you, of course, you have to live with it.
At this point I am going to do what it takes to correct the problem more annoyed that we are staring down the barrel of some bizarre weather this weekend which means my fix will most likely be delayed until after work next week

What do you mean by creating ubeam and the aluminmum caps with a flange do you have any pictures the show what you mean

Advertisement