Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 510

fence gate on a rolling track?

hi all.. i have a fully fenced yard except at the back where i want to install a gate so i can use the parking pad. instead of a gate that swings in, i would like a single gate that rolls back on itself. the opening for the parking pad is ~17' wide.

i was thinking of getting some U-channel track and just build the fence with some rollers on it. do they come in 18' lengths? the free end of the fence would have to have a wheel with a spring so it can maneuver over the ground.

any suggestions?

Knucklez

Old 10-13-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
Stairguy

Rewards Points: 500

I once built one of these a while back. It was much smaller though. It was at the top of a set of stairs.Same concept though.The u-channel is exactly what I did. It had a track at the top and bottom. Keep in mind that the gate must be longer than the opening so that it stays in the track when the gate is all the way closed. They also sell heavy duty rollers that are designed for gates like this. I have only seen them on chain link but maybe you can be creative

Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,240

The would work with a wooden fence, but you have to bolt the metal tubing on the frame for the gate, and then the wheels bolt on said frame to ride along the tubing to retract. If you want an example how the rolling gate works, head to your local airport. Otherwise, use a gate with a wheel on the bottom to help allow it to be pulled out of the way.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:22 PM   #4

I found lots of U-channel at HomeDepot, and even a wheel that looked like it could work great. A wheel from scaffolding set. It is nice because it is heavy duty, rated for outdoors, cost effective and already mounted for insertion into a pipe (which would get bolted to the side of my rolling gate).

now i need to find a pole and a spring, so that this wheel can have some bounce. any suggestion?

I saw a big spring in the fence gate section of HD, so that could work.. ..
Old 10-19-2010, 06:34 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 274

You'll have to post a pic when your done.

Previous home I put a swing out gate with roller for a parking pad , used a farm gate/latch and wheel.

The gate had alternating boards just like the fence it was attached to and worked pretty slick.
High Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:34 PM   #6

i will.. but this project is low on the priority list. may not happen until next spring. depends. but anyway, for now i am thinking of forgetting about the spring. if it turns out i need one, then i'll think of it at that time.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:17 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 152

I found these after reading your post. Maybe they'll spark some ideas.

http://www.buildeazy.com/workshop/sliding-gate-1.html

Seems there are many suppliers for chain link fences/gates -- some of the pieces may be applicable to your project.
Good luck.
orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:16 PM   #8

thanks, definitely some good ideas there!

Knucklez
Old 12-02-2012, 10:24 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

I am looking to do a similar project in my backyard and would love to hear how yours turned out.
Patrickmurtaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #10

i abandoned the idea because too complicated to implement in my situation because of uneven soil and difficulty sourcing adequate rolling fence parts (not chain link fence parts which are easy to find). instead i went with wooden swing gate, fully cantilevered with NO wheels anywhere

so far, i have installed the gate posts which are each 6x6 PT wood burried 4' and steel reinforced to protect against gate sag (recall fully cantilevered). i reinforced myself by going to a steel supply shop, ording 4 pieces of 1/4" thick steel 10' long by 2.5" wide then used drill press to drill holes in zig-zag pattern, spray painted with rustnoleum, then groved out my PT gate posts and inserted the steel, and screwed it in place. the steel will stop gate post from bending. that's as far as i got.. been like that for a few months.. working on other projects right now.

Last edited by Knucklez; 01-26-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Knucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklez View Post
I found lots of U-channel at HomeDepot, and even a wheel that looked like it could work great. A wheel from scaffolding set. It is nice because it is heavy duty, rated for outdoors, cost effective and already mounted for insertion into a pipe (which would get bolted to the side of my rolling gate).

now i need to find a pole and a spring, so that this wheel can have some bounce. any suggestion?

I saw a big spring in the fence gate section of HD, so that could work.. ..

hmm there are not any suggestion but i also was saying the same thing but was a bit late ..

paulsmith544 is offline   Reply With Quote