Fence/deck Footings - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2008, 05:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fence/deck footings

I am going to build a fence around a garden and would rather not sink the 4/4's into cement - we have termites/ants here in Texas. I found a picture of a kind of footing on one of your discussions and would like to know what it is and how you make/do this type of footing. I'm so "new" that I haven't mastered the picture attachment. Here's my best description. Round pieces of cement set in the ground that have a plate (with a major huge bolt going down in the cement) onto which is screwed the 4x4. I noticed that some of the cement rounds are set further down in the ground to level and compensate for slanting ground.

Advertisement

KayonLOMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Fence/deck footings

You can certainly build a fence without anchoring the posts in concrete, but the posts should still be stuck in the ground. Some fence companies compact dirt around their posts (not as good as concrete). Really, wood anywhere near the ground is subject to ant and termite damage.

My suggestion would be to use burial rated ACQ treated posts and stick them in concrete. That would mean .50 pounds/cubic foot retention of the treatment. It will last for years before the termites even give it a look.

If you wish to pursue the idea of bolting them to something, you'd need to imbed some galvanized 5/8" or 3/4" all-thread in a concrete pier, perfectly plumb. Then you'd drill a corresponding hole up a good 12-18" into your posts. Using self-spreading glue like Gorilla Glue to secure them. I think its a bad idea and you'll never get the fence to look perfect though.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Fence/deck footings

I think you might be thinking of something like this Simpson Strong-Tie post anchor. http://www.strongtie.com/products/co...BA-ABE-ABU.asp

They are typically used for deck posts and not for fences.

If you want to use something termite proof use round galvanized metal poles set in concrete. Many people who have to replace their original fence after 10-15 years do this.

There are U bolts to connect the wood fence to it.
TexasEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Fence/deck footings

Two words: metal posts.