Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Fence construction

Hello,

I'm designing a fence for my backyard and am in need of some expert help on how to properly construct it. Mainly I'm unsure of the best techniques of fastening all the boards together.

I want to build a 6-foot, board-on-board privacy fence with a lattice top. I'd like to use joist hangers where possible (if feasible), but I'm not sure how to fasten the bottom boards if I turn the board on edge. Any suggestions and general tips before I make a mess of my backyard? Thanks!

Attached are sketchup drawings of what I was thinking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Fence construction-top.jpg   Fence construction-bottom2.jpg  

oatlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
Stairguy

Rewards Points: 500

Fence construction

the easiest way to do this is to start with a 2x4 frame. The width is determined by the size of the fence boards (about 6').The height will be about 5'. The 2x4s need to be dadoed out on the inside to accept the fence boards all the way around. The fence boards are toungue and groove and will slide into the 2x4 frame and will lock all together.

Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote