Fence Building - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2015, 09:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6,656

fence building

i am looking at different style of fence. i want one that looks good on both sides. so, to me, that means building in between the posts.
http://fattysfencingandsupplies.com/...es/8425638.jpg

my question : the horizontal boards. are they just toe nailed/screwed to the posts ?

Advertisement

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,766

Most times they are screwed into the posts at a toe angle.

I have seen them with mortise / tenon joints, which takes skill and time.

Also have seen them with another "jack-stud, against the post, then a cripple, and the top rail on top.
This gives the post a sturdier look, which some find appealing.

ED

Advertisement

de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
craig11152 (07-09-2015), maxviewshbj (07-13-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 09:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post

Also have seen them with another "jack-stud, against the post, then a cripple, and the top rail on top.

ED
thats what i thought. that doesn't seem like a reliable way to do it, idk.

i ain't do'n that.

i will try to find one built like that on google sounds like a great idea. but this may have other issues. idk
Old 07-08-2015, 09:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,600

Quote:

ED
if you want them to last a long time. a cut-corner trick is to pin them, oak rod, drill holes so wood pins fit just loose, use a glue like gorilla urethane (expands when you wet it), then pre-drill some toe holes, ss or enamel coated screws.

Last edited by concrete_joe; 07-08-2015 at 09:58 PM.
concrete_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:16 PM   #5

On that third option, ( the jack stud), There is usually a 1x put on the face of the post after the jack and rail and cripple , and top rails are installed to clad the outer to appear to be 6x6 posts.

It really looks good, and usually is sturdy.

Costly, but you want to appease the land grabbing neighbor, right?

ED
Old 07-09-2015, 08:57 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,256

The photo looks like post has a groove where both rail and boards would fit into. Most durable/economical would be pt posts and with pt, neither the material nor the joints would stay tight.
If you don't want to see the nails/screws, and tenon is too much work for me, you can:
1. starter hole that can be plugged, then drill for toe screw/nail.
2. I thought you can use cut pieces of T rail that is used for hidden deck screwing. Use 2 per joint.
3. Fake bottom and middle rails. Groove in the rails will hold water and then to early death. Min the bottom rail needs to be wider to hold up the weight of all the field boards.

I assume the fence will not continue across the house wall? There are many reasons for not doing it that way.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:36 PM   #7

guys, this is what i want to avoid . i don't like the, are they called "rails' ? the horizontal support boards.
http://www.idonotlikethisjob.com/wp-...vacy-fence.jpg

though, if i can make them so they look good, that is fine. like my first link is ok.

i'm not trying to hide the nails/screws. i am just thinking that toe fastening these is not a great way. i could be wrong.

yeah, i want to block my theiving neighbor as much as reasonably possible. his yard looks like crap, and i don't like his ass. and i'l be dammed if i have to burn a fence that he gets the nice side of.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:00 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 868

Vinyl looks good on both sides and could be less work.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:06 PM   #9

When you install the rails, (horizontals), put them running with the 1.5 inch sides facing out, with them nailed / screwed onto cripple studs attached to the posts.

That way you can install the vertical (stiles) on each side of the fence staggered back and forth front/back. all the length of the fence.

This leaves spaces for air travel, or viewing if wanted. (YOU DO NOT HAVE TO LOOK AT HIM).

You could tighten up the spacing to just a few inches, and then the view would be so tiny that you probably will never see through the thing anyway.

If it were me I would just get a loader and push his shed over a few inches back into his property.

After all it is on your land so technically it is yours to do as you please.
especially if it was built without your permission on your land.

ED
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (07-12-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 08:38 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,256

One major difference between the good and bad is that good has the fence inside the posts and bad is outside.
Also the bad has rails that are pt and too narrow - prob factory made and for looks. They may be bending down in the middle. My fence has A braces on the rails. 6" dia branch fell on it and the fence did not move. I liked the industrial look of it.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:14 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,600

i found it much easier to buy friendly-fence sections. but DIY'ing it is nice.
concrete_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:58 AM   #12

Quote:
When you install the rails, (horizontals), put them running with the 1.5 inch sides facing out, with them nailed / screwed onto cripple studs attached to the posts.

If it were me I would just get a loader and push his shed over a few inches back into his property.

After all it is on your land so technically it is yours to do as you please.
especially if it was built without your permission on your land.

ED
i'm having a hard time understanding that.

i like your thinking
yeah, that would be classic youtube vid . but, its not a shed. it has a full deck that is up to the house. and it has posts in concrete.

i had been thinking about that. what if i just took my chainsaw and cut it off ?
Old 07-11-2015, 03:50 PM   #13

How did this bar / deck / patio get built partially on your side of the line
without your knowledge?

Were you on vacation and get back to discover that they had encroached?

I would have raised #*!! then .

Assume that you have your posts in, You attach short 2xs (cripple studs)to the posts against the post on the inside sides spanning to the height that your horizontals will be at. Then you attach your horizontals from post to post sitting on top of the cripples making a frame inside the spaces between the posts. All cripples and horizontals are now having the 1.5 inch sides out.

This gives you a perfect box to attach your pickets at any spacing that you desire. Attach pickets on both the inside ( your), and the outside( their) sides, and it looks the same from both ways.

ED
Old 07-12-2015, 07:53 AM   #14

Quote:
How did this bar / deck / patio get built partially on your side of the line
without your knowledge?

Were you on vacation and get back to discover that they had encroached?

I would have raised #*!! then .

Assume that you have your posts in, You attach short 2xs (cripple studs)to the posts against the post on the inside sides spanning to the height that your horizontals will be at. Then you attach your horizontals from post to post sitting on top of the cripples making a frame inside the spaces between the posts. All cripples and horizontals are now having the 1.5 inch sides out.

This gives you a perfect box to attach your pickets at any spacing that you desire. Attach pickets on both the inside ( your), and the outside( their) sides, and it looks the same from both ways.

ED
it was partially built when i moved in. then a little while after we moved in, he started building what you see. the fence used to over on my side about 2'
right there, so he figured he was safe. like i said, i have always had the survey map. but being an excited, busy, and ignorant new homeower, i just never bothered to look at the survey. after i finally did = , i said something to him. he said "thats the way it always been". again, being ignarant etc, i didn't think much of it, though i did ask him to move it a couple times.

now, i want to begin (planning stage, and moving his hut) developing that area. so i am pressing the issue.

ok, i got your idea on the fence construction thing. thanx

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (07-12-2015)