Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2005, 05:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fence Bid - A Rip-Off ???

I'm in the middle of one of those split-cost-with-neighbor property line fence situations. Have to pull out an existing fence which is about 40 years old and overgrown throughout with vines and tress and bushes, etc. Length of fence is 80 feet.
Got a bid from a contractor for $5,000 for the following (you guys tell me where I'm getting ripped off...):
1) demo and remove existing fence and plants
2) provide and install Douglas fir 4x4 posts at 8 feet on center installed into 18" SuperPost (heavy-duty vinyl sleeves) protection Kits.
3) provide and install 2x4 rails @ top middle and bottom between posts.
4) provide and install 1x6x8 cedar T&G
5) install 2x4 cap
6) provide two coats semi-transparent stain both sides.
Also - Isnt there going to be a problem about which side the dumb rails are installed on? Any other bickering problems as far as property line issues you guys forsee with this job? Contractor says I can save $800 by going with 1x6x6 dog ear fence. And save $375 if I use pine instead of cedar.
Debbie in Los Angeles

kenziekiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 05:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 542

I can't answer the property line/zoning or price questions as prices vary too much from one area to the next, and zoning ordinances vary more than that (city to city or even neighborhood to neighborhood maybe???:confused: )

As far as what side the rails are on, you'll have to come to an agreement with your neighbor. They have to be somewhere, obviously, and if both parties don't want to see them just put fencing on both sides, but expect the cost to be almost double.

jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 06:37 PM   #3
Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

I'm nowhere near LA and I know that things are pretty pricey out there but $5K seems pretty steep.

By comparison, I'm having 360 ft. of shadowbox installed with a 12ft gate and a 4ft gate (self closing and latching to meet pool requirements) for $4.8K. This is a 6ft. high, PT, enclosed rail fence with SS fasteners.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 06:41 PM   #4

Is there a difference between pine and cedar fencing? Is dog-ear finish any diff. than a capped flat finish?
kenziekiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 06:50 PM   #5
Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Where I am cedar or redwood is much more expensive than PT and the thing will probably blow away before it rots. Over there on the left coast, I notice that the price diff. is negligible.

Dog ear is just a design feature and is a matter of taste. Older homes here often have the tops cut into a pineapple motif, this area was once called the pineapple capital of the US.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 07:11 PM   #6
Stage 2 newbie

Rewards Points: 75

Looks like $62.50/ft. I think that is high myself. I'm rounding up on these numbers, but it seems like the material cost should be about $15/ft?

Either way, get a few quotes. if they are all ball park, then it's worth it. if not, then you'll know.

also... fencing isn't that difficult really. Do you have any young strapping lads that could help? college aged kids need money too... haha.

EDIT: I didn't figure in the stain to my price per foot... but I don't think it would drive it up that much.
Dustin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:20 AM   #7

have you considered buying fence boards from someone with a portable sawmill. I live in seattle and have a mill and access to red cedar. perhaps you could go a bit north and get some boards from northern ca. from a private sawmill.
arborcarewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 08:12 PM   #8

Umm Im in mississippi and fences here go for $12.50 p.f for 6 foot treated fence that includes concrete,posts,and dog ears and stringers.
Gates are 100$ for 8 foot gates and 50$ for 4 foot gates well this is what i charge... actually to get the fence done right you need a method and if you aint got the method right ur gonna be laughed at lol....

Patton's Remodeling is offline   Reply With Quote