Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2010, 02:21 PM   #1
DYI Novice

Share |

Is it feasible to side over brick?

My house was built in 1969. It is a modest 1650sqft ranch. Three of the sides of the house are sided with modern 4" vinyl. The front, unfortunately, has 60's style blonde brick.

What are my realistic options to do something with the brick. It is very dated as well as faded by the sun. Obviously one option is to side it but how difficult is it to side over brick? I read/heard about brick staining but dont know enough about it

I've attached a pic of the front of my house. The house is 55' wide.
Attached Thumbnails
Is it feasible to side over brick?-image_014.jpg  

hawks81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:47 PM   #2

You may have trouble matching the vinyl siding that you have now, I mean like in board width. The brick adds value to your home, so If your tired of the color ,paint the brick ,its done evey day. Yes, siding can be put on brick, but I'm saying don't do it ,you have a nice home, paint it.

bernieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #3

The problem that I see with siding over it is that siding, as you probably already know, does not want to be nailed too tight, as it needs room to expand and contract, and since it is hard enough to nail to brick, getting the proper tension is going to be quite difficult. It will require some accurate measurements, to make sure that this doesn't mess you up in regard to trimming out your windows and doors, but I would seriously consider removing the brick, and siding the sheathing, just as the rest of the house is. Again though, you'll want to consider everything, includings, doors, windows, and soffits, to make sure that you won't have to rework everything else. On the other hand though, particularly if there are original, maybe that is the time to replace the windows as well, which would remove some of the issue. On a different note, and it's not what you asked, but it must be a bad picture, because it looks fine to me, as is! Unless you are dead set on replacing it, you might consider some manner of decoration that you could add, which would maybe break it up enough to make it more appealing to you. Just a thought.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
Newbie Bill

I'd say look into painting the brick.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #5

The brick doesn't look bad but the color of the siding and shutters is all wrong for the brick color. Have you considered changing the color of the shutters instead? A good designer might come up with just the right color to make the brick and siding look good together.

If you are set on getting rid of the blond brick do consider just getting it rebricked. Your area of brick is quite small (maybe 1500 bricks tops). It may not cost much different than siding or paint considering the added value vs siding or paint.

If you do the demo and prep work (repairing any bad sheathing, felt or tyvek, fixing window trim and flashing, etc) you may even find a skilled brickie looking for small weekend side jobs for a very reasonable fee. Or a crew that needs a side job to fill in an empty day or two in the schedule.

Whatever way you go don't let the person who selected the vinyl and shutter colors pick out the color scheme. Getting the right color combo is important and some people just aren't good at it.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jogr For This Useful Post:
hawks81 (07-16-2010)
Old 07-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #6

Well, not knowing who chose the colors, and having a tendency to stick my foot in my mouth, I opted to tap dance around my initial thoughts, by pointing out the issues with siding over the brick, but since the ice has been broken, I have to agree with at least repainting the shutters, and possibly repainting the bricks, although I think that the bricks are fine, given the right complementary colors on the shutters. You may want to experiment with different height shutters, etc., and if you really like the burgundy color, which isn't bad, except that in this case it sort of collides with the brick, you could always use it in a stencil, or something like that. I just think that it's a shame to eliminate the brick.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #7
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
If you are set on getting rid of the blond brick do consider just getting it rebricked. Your area of brick is quite small (maybe 1500 bricks tops). It may not cost much different than siding or paint considering the added value vs siding or paint.

If you do the demo and prep work (repairing any bad sheathing, felt or tyvek, fixing window trim and flashing, etc) you may even find a skilled brickie looking for small weekend side jobs for a very reasonable fee. Or a crew that needs a side job to fill in an empty day or two in the schedule.

My thoughts exactly.

At least get a price or two on new brick or cultured stone, or one of many other options available.

I've re-bricked a few fronts similar to this, and the HO's are often suprised to see the quote is far less than some crazy number they had stuck in their head.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
Mod

If it were mine, I’d rip it all out of there. As mentioned, get back to the sheathing and deal with any issues. Then maybe 3’ of stone and siding above that. I think rock or brick to the soffit is a little much. See ya shutters.

Yes you can side over brick, you would need to attach 2x firing to the brick for nailing. Not my first choice looking at your particular situation.

What do you have on the rest of the house?

Last edited by kwikfishron; 07-15-2010 at 06:15 PM.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #9

I'm wondering why the shutters are longer than the windows. Did someone replace the windows with shorter ones then vinal under them?
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:57 PM   #10
DYI Novice

I must say, you guys have really given quality advice. I never had even thought about re-bricking to a different color. That intrigues me greatly.

I admit I painted the red shutters. It was done to match my longterm vision and why i went with redish landscaping. Just a personal preference. I know the brick and the siding clash! That's why I'm here!! lol

Quote:
The 3 other sides have blue-grey siding

Quote:
I'm wondering why the shutters are longer than the windows. Did someone replace the windows with shorter ones then vinal under them?
I don't really know why. The windows were replaced in 06 but with exact duplicates. All of the models like mine in this sub-division have the shutters from the ground til the soffit just like mine. I believe they are 15"w x 84"H (found out they are hard to get when i shopped around trying to replace them)
Old 07-15-2010, 06:59 PM   #11
DYI Novice

I must say, you guys have really given quality advice. I never had even thought about re-bricking to a different color. That intrigues me greatly.

I admit I painted the red shutters. It was done to match my longterm vision and why i went with redish landscaping. Just a personal preference. I know the brick and the siding clash! That's why I'm here!! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
I don't really know why. The windows were replaced in 06 but with exact duplicates. All of the models like mine in this sub-division have the shutters from the ground til the soffit just like mine. I believe they are 15"w x 84"H (found out they are hard to get when i shopped around trying to replace them)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post

Yes you can side over brick, you would need to attach 2x firing to the brick for nailing. Not my first choice looking at your particular situation.

The 3 other sides have blue-grey siding