Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2009, 09:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Faulty header over 6' window

I speculate my front room window has a faulty header cause the ceiling seems to be sagging which has a domer on top of it. The foundation is solid.

My question is, can I install a beam the lenght of the room, butted up against the ceiling, and support it with 6x6 post at each end of the beam sitting the beam right on top of the floor Joise, in the inside of the house, above the window?

I donot want to take the wall and window apart.. it all seems find.

chrissygarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Do your floor joists run parallel or perpindicular to the wall?
How long is the wall?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:14 AM   #3

The ceiling may be sagging due to the design of the framing for the dormer above. The side walls of the dormer either bear on the doubled up rafters next to, or bear directly on the floor. I suspect on the floor, hence the sag. From a ladder, sight the ceiling downstairs from the dormer for the worst sag, mark it's location with a piece of tape. Measure that location from a central wall, mark same location upstairs. Does the location below coincide with either side dormer wall?

An inside beam is a poor solution. Bearing point loads, positive tie-off to framing, aesthetics, etc. are some things that come to mind.
Check to see if the exterior dormer wall lines up with the exterior wall below.(From the outside). Some are built offset 2'. If not, most of the weight of the dormer is on the ceiling/floor joists below, and not over the exterior (much stronger) wall below. It may be the joists are not sized to carry the dormer's additional weight, hence the sag.

Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

The exterior of the dormer does not come all the way out the outside wall underneath it.. It is about 2 feet short!

So now what.. It is noticable upstairs in the corner of the dormer outside wall the floor is taking a dip... And i think in 10 years it is getting worst..

I jacked up the floor to put a window in down below it and I dont recall it helping....

So I have timbers in my front room where the corner of the dormer as the theme in our house in country western

How do I go about correcting the sag then?
chrissygarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:29 PM   #5

How big is the dormer? Any pics?
The support you added - does it continue down to the basement?
What is supporting the timbers besides the floor joists?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:05 PM   #6

Unless you are experienced in jacking the joists, adding new ones (sistering), and determining if the existing header is the correct size, I would consider hiring a Contractor. I do not know the level of your expertise. Need:
1. the span of the dormer rafters ( to figure the roof load),
2. the width of the dormer
3. the span of the ceiling joists below the dormer
4. the size of the " " " " "
5. the local snow load
6. the size of the window header below
7. the span of the " " "

Are the timbers just for looks, or is it a log type house?
Be safe, G

Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote