Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2010, 05:08 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Faster Retractable Awning?

I noticed about the retractable awnings at outdoor cafes and alfresco dining areas, they open really slowly when the weather starts pouring. This leaves lots of raindrops on the table, which couldn't have been there if the awning unfolds faster.

So I was wondering, without acknowledging any rust or glitches, is there any way I can improve on the design or any compartments of the frame so that the entire retractable awning unfolds faster?

If there is, can someone show me a picture representation? I appreciate it.

My definition of fast is 2 seconds(or faster). I want to do it for my room door retractable awning.

Percher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:23 AM   #2

Wouldn't it be simpler to just have the awning come out as the clouds move in, instead of waiting for it to start raining?
You will never find an awning that unfurls in 2 seconds, or 4, or 6 or.....
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:58 AM   #3

why not just have it free spool open?
and only use the motor to close it.

kind of like a bait casting fishing reel.

just hope there are no tall people standing near the end
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:34 PM   #4

Maybe I'll make my point.

Actually I'm thinking of an idea about installing the retractable awning on a bus roof.

Here in my country, when the public buses stop in front of the bus stops, there will be about a 1 metre gap between the bus stop and the bus. And when its raining heavily (which happens a lot), the boarding passengers will get drenched before they even get on the bus.

So I would like to propose this idea of having a retractable awining at every entrance and exit of the bus, then the passengers won't have to be wet.

Any tool in existence that can make the retractable awning go off faster?

Last edited by Percher; 07-31-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Percher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:23 AM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percher View Post
Maybe I'll make my point.

Actually I'm thinking of an idea about installing the retractable awning on a bus roof.

Here in my country, when the public buses stop in front of the bus stops, there will be about a 1 metre gap between the bus stop and the bus. And when its raining heavily (which happens a lot), the boarding passengers will get drenched before they even get on the bus.

So I would like to propose this idea of having a retractable awining at every entrance and exit of the bus, then the passengers won't have to be wet.

Any tool in existence that can make the retractable awning go off faster?
a faster motor. different gearing.

sure, there is no problem making things move faster but you need to study why they move the speed they do. I suspect it might be by opening and closing the thing too fast, you tend to cause damage to some part of the awning. So rather than build some high tech fancy and expensive system, they just run it slower.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote