Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Fastening structural beams

I am adding a structural 4X4 post to a load bearing wall. I am looking for a method of fastening the post to the concrete without using a galvanized post base. The post will be exposed and stained and I would like to make it look as clean as possible at the floor. Angle drill and countersink tapcons maybe? Just do not really want the fastener to show.

Help...

PaddyHutch
PaddyHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyHutch View Post
I am adding a structural 4X4 post to a load bearing wall. I am looking for a method of fastening the post to the concrete without using a galvanized post base. The post will be exposed and stained and I would like to make it look as clean as possible at the floor. Angle drill and countersink tapcons maybe? Just do not really want the fastener to show.

Help...

PaddyHutch
What's wrong with a galvanized post base? It gives a method of anchorage and provides a moisture barrier! The best of both worlds!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:07 PM   #3

In order to give you an idea of what will work for anchorage then I need to know what the post is doing. Is it an addition, an exterior wall, is the wall sheathing attached to the post, or what? My concern is uplift, and whether or not uplift of that portion of the structure is a concern.

If uplift is not a concern and you're just trying to give it some lateral prevention, use a piece of threaded rod drilled and epoxied into the floor below and drill a corresponding hole into the bottom of the post to fit the rod and epoxy that in.

Tapcons at an angle will not do anything for you from a structural standpoint.

The best answer to your question is to use a nice thick post base to secure the post. They can be powder coated or painted any color you wish. A custom one could be fabricated and mortised into the side/bottom of the post so it doesn't protrude from the sides.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
Home Remodeler

If this is going to be load bearing it should have a footing, not just sitting on the slab.
mikey48 is offline   Reply With Quote