Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
dIYHell

Share |

Fastening sleepers to concrete

I am putting a deck that part of it will sit on a sloped concrete pad. I am going to lay 2X4s on their side and shim for them to be level with adjoining deck (coming off a ledger attached to side of concrete slab).

How should I fasten these sleepers to concrete. I was thinking of countersinking a 3/4 inch hole half inch deep and shoot concrete nails. Or would it be better to install concreate anchors and bolt the boards down?

rocketdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
Custom Cabinet Maker

No shims. If 2 x 4 is not wide enuf than use 2 x 6 and scribe em. PT is a must, Being only 1 1/2 wide it will make life interesting but I would try to use wedge anchors. countersink the tops for nut and washer,run a 1/2 hole thru.
Shims will move,shrink etc not good.

skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
dIYHell

I was planning on laying the sleepers flat and shimming them with 4x4 PT cut to proper width and placing under fastening points I suppose I could put my sleepers on edge and start them off as 1.5" and have them end up 2.5" at the other side. Is there a trick to scribing these on the tablesaw? or just mark a line and follow it?
Old 09-01-2009, 05:27 PM   #4
Custom Cabinet Maker

hmmmmmmmmmm OK IMHO I am not a fan of 2x on the flat. There will be alot of flex in that 1 1/2 " I also trust you are going WITH the water flow not across it. You can go it your way but man a full inch of shims? Me personally I would not do it. SCribing the answer is YES just rip to your line with circ saw. NOW IF they are all happily going to be the same dimension ( yeah like that will happen :}:} } but if so then get a width or rip to it so when you do rip you get 2 pcs from one cut.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
dIYHell

well I'll probably go the scribe route, starting not to seem that difficult (famous last words). What is the recommended spacing between the concrete anchors I was thinking about every 2 feet? Also what is the recommend spacing for IPE boards, was thinking about the thickness of a 16 penny nail
Old 09-02-2009, 03:36 PM   #6
Custom Cabinet Maker

I think 2' would be fine. I would also use some good PL500 or whatever they now use for pressure treated. just remember as you get to the thinner sections you should reduce the length of the fastner and hole depth. If you can vacuum the dust out of the holes before you put your fastners in to them.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #7
dIYHell

Skymaster thanks for all the input, are you suggesting the adhesive for glueing the wood to the concrete?
Old 09-02-2009, 04:01 PM   #8
Custom Cabinet Maker

Yes. Will help hold, take up the bounce, insulate the wood from concrete ect. All around helps ya out alot.
You realize that you have had em thinkin bout this fer a day or two eh ROFLMAO

Am thunkin I would snap lines, pre drill all the sleepers, place em, drill all the holes at farthest point, than put one fastner in each at the thickest end, place em on the lines, just snug it down,than drill every hole using sleepers as template,witness mark em, loosen the anchor pull em up, vacuum all the holes, then put the adhesive on em, place em back down and tighten them up
Old 09-02-2009, 04:18 PM   #9
DIY Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
I think 2' would be fine. I would also use some good PL500 or whatever they now use for pressure treated. just remember as you get to the thinner sections you should reduce the length of the fastner and hole depth. If you can vacuum the dust out of the holes before you put your fastners in to them.
2' spacing is PLENTY, even if you are using 1" diameter wedge anchors!!

If you are going to reduce hole depth, keep in mind that wedge anchors all have a minimum embedment depth. The min.embed for a 1/2" wedge anchor is about 2-1/2" ( depends on brand, make sure you pay attention to this). the other thing to keep in mind with wedge anchors is edge distance. You never want your anchor to be less than 5 anchor diameters from the pad edge. 12 diameters or more is recommended

If you can't vacuum out the hole, you can use a compressor, or even your mouth and a straw) to blow out the hole. it's not critical, but will help you get the most out of your anchors

Last edited by Mr Chips; 09-02-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:21 PM   #10
dIYHell

I am curious about another way of fastning the sleepers. what about laying a 2X4 flat and fastening the sleepers to them. I can glue both boards down and shoot concrete nails into the ones running flat
Old 09-04-2009, 12:18 PM   #11
Custom Cabinet Maker

Can do. The issue is that pins are great for preventing side to side, in a house the weight of the building prevents lifting, with a deck I would be concerned about lifting because of a live load, IE people walkin, furniture moving etc. Now If you use wedge anchors to hold em down and the screw etc sleepers to them that should be fine.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:49 PM   #12
dIYHell

Decided not to go with Red heads for setting sleeprs, I was terrible y succesful setting them, I had to hammer them hard in and either they didn't set or the threads got screwed up (i had the nut on when hammering them in). I have a lot to set for my sleepers so don't want to mess around with ones that don't set, im going to go with screwing the Sleaper into a 2X4 set flat. I'll securing it with shooting concrete nails into the sleeper and glueing the sleepers and 2x4 as well. Also before securing sleeper since I plan on installing cut side down I was going to coat it with copper green to allow for great rot resistance.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #13
DIY Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdoctor View Post
Decided not to go with Red heads for setting sleeprs, I was terrible y succesful setting them, I had to hammer them hard in and either they didn't set or the threads got screwed up (i had the nut on when hammering them in).
if you are having problems with wedge anchors, you might want to consider sleeve anchors ( Red Head's trade name for sleeve anchor is Dyna-Bolt). They are more versitle and easier to use but don't hold has much as a wedge. They will hold a lot more than a powder actuated nail for sure
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:32 PM   #14
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rocket: the problems you are having sound like you either the drill size is too small, depth too shallow, or drill dust left in hole and/or comination of all. This IS NOT meant personsal :}:}:} Usually the drill size is the thread size IE: 1/2" anchor means 1/2" hole. Am really surprised at the problems Curiosity what type drill are you using? I have a Bosch SDS roatry hammer and I gotta tell ya there is NO comparision to a hammer drill. I have both types and the reason I own the SDS is because of the problems I get with a hammer drill using larger drill sizes. Since you have a fair amount of holes you might consider one. I bought a refurb from CPO tools, only needed a 1" and it is fantastic you will never go back to a hammer drill. Was reasonable under 200 bucks and reduces workload on your body by about 90%
Old 09-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #15
dIYHell

I am a software engineer and even though I have done lots of DIY projects, nothing has ever been simple or level so nothing personal taken. You are correct about the SDS, my nieghbor let me his and it does rock, I am using the 3/8" bit for 3/8' redheads. I wire brush and blow the air out (I even have a tip on blower to get it all the way down in the hole). The redheads don't go in easy I have to tap them quite a bit to set them to their dept and then they don't seem to set. Hitting them harder causes the threads to get messed up. I know I must be doing something wrong here. I think I'll try the sleeved ones if I can find them, I think the holding power will be sufficient. I was thinking epoxy as well but I think that would be pricey and time consuming for the 50 that I have to install.