Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
RDS

Share |

Fastening a header where access is tight

I'm removing one stud from a load-bearing wall to make a small broom closet off my kitchen. I will of course have to put in a header resting on jack studs. My question is: how do I end-nail the header in place if, at one end, the king stud butts right up against an exterior wall? I can't get my nailer or even a hammer in there.

What are the approved/favored methods for dealing with this? I can think of a few but am wondering what experienced people think is best. I've done only a bit of framing in the past.

I realize I could take out both king studs, plus the one in between, build the new wall section and then raise the whole thing into place, but that would require a temporary wall which I'm hoping to avoid since I don't want to mark up the ceiling. But if that's the only/best way then I will.

If it matters, yes, I got a permit for this. (It's part of a larger remodel.)

Thanks in advance.

RDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
Remodeler

Toe nail it or drive a few screws on an angle, throw some adhesive in if it worries you but it isn't going anywhere. The weight is bearing down from the top and it is setting on the jack studs. All the nails really do is hold it in place.

iamrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDS View Post
I'm removing one stud from a load-bearing wall to make a small broom closet off my kitchen. I will of course have to put in a header resting on jack studs. My question is: how do I end-nail the header in place if, at one end, the king stud butts right up against an exterior wall? I can't get my nailer or even a hammer in there.

What are the approved/favored methods for dealing with this? I can think of a few but am wondering what experienced people think is best. I've done only a bit of framing in the past.

I realize I could take out both king studs, plus the one in between, build the new wall section and then raise the whole thing into place, but that would require a temporary wall which I'm hoping to avoid since I don't want to mark up the ceiling. But if that's the only/best way then I will.

If it matters, yes, I got a permit for this. (It's part of a larger remodel.)

Thanks in advance.
Toenail it.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:20 AM   #4
RDS

Thanks. I was totally overthinking this.
RDS is offline   Reply With Quote