Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #1

Share |

Fastening 2x6 roof ledger to brick

I need to fasten a 2x6 roof ledger to brick. What type of anchors would be acceptable for shear strength (30 lb snow load in my area) and to resist horizontal push for preventing pull through.

The roof will be around 12' w x 20' L. I'm looking at various 1/2" wedge anchors and the load ratings look pretty high and should be sufficient.

I'm going to try to find studs (rough cut old house) and possibly run long lags into them.

Any input, opinions or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

spacoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #2

what are you building? you want a deck? with a roof?

Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
Disabled wood vet

Yeah, it would be nice to catch some lumber.
What pitch will the roof be?
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Your brick veneer is not an acceptable material to attach anything that carries a roof load. You must attach the ledger to a structural portion of the house. Usually through bolts are best possible connectors to use.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #5

Sorry for not adding the roof pitch, I meant to but I was being rushed to go somewhere (wife). I'm hoping to get a least a 5/12 pitch with the new roof. It will be a roof over a patio area.

I'm actually fixing and adding to an existing roof (demo) that was already built. From the looks of the construction of that roof (terrible), I'm wondering how it's fastened to the house. I can see how right now because they added blocking over the ledger in between each cavity

Dick, would a 1/2" lag bolt be acceptable into the stud (I could two ever 16") or would I need to add blocking in the wall for a through bolt? I can do that because I'm going to demo the interior to add insulation soon, so cutting open the wall to add some good blocking won't be a problem.

Correct me if I'm wrong... the shear load would still be bearing mostly on the brick even no matter what fasteners I'm using? The only thing that would be a factor is the shear capacity of the fastener and the size and amount to use. Although I'm still in favor of fastening to the framing to resist pull.

Thanks guys.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
Disabled wood vet

I guess removing some brick is out of the question.

Or you could put uprights under the ledger as well.
Attached to the brick.
Would pass code for shear issues.

Last edited by titanoman; 02-21-2012 at 09:48 PM.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #7

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

The fastener itself may have enough shear capacity, but if the ledger is for a roof with a snow load, the dead load of the brick, the roof and the snow load could be very substantial. Conventional brick veneer (3 5/8" thick) is not meant to be load bearing for vertical loads since very often on residential construction there may just be a simple steel angle attached to the foundation to carry the brick dead load and not the concrete block or concrete sill that many people think may be there. Obviously, thin 1/2" "paste on" brick veneer is totally inadequate.

For decks, many places will only allow through bolts of various diameters and some may allow lag bolts, but the codes are being tightened up because of the ledger deck collapses.

The lateral strength of brick veneer is highly variable depending on the way it is attached to the home. Very often on residential construction the number and spacing or the wrinkled wall ties is highly suspect.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to concretemasonry For This Useful Post:
AndyGump (02-21-2012), CplDevilDog (02-22-2012), Gary in WA (02-21-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 03:31 AM   #8

I'm going to do my best to get it tied into the framing correctly. I want to make it right!

Thanks for all the input.