Fastener Sizes Listed In Code Books - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2008, 07:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 258

Fastener sizes listed in code books

I went to the library and was looking through my local codes. I was wondering about fastener sizes. It says you have to use 3-8d nails for toe nailing. Is this the minimum requirement? Can you use larger nails than specified for toe nailing? Also, it does not specify placement. I wasn't sure if this was an issue or not. I noticed some framers put two nails through the 2x side of a stud and one nail through the other side. This gives you the the required amount of nails.

The code book also didn't mention screws as fasteners. I read on here that screws shouldn't be used in framing. I was wondering about sheathing or siding. It seems like screws would provide more strength.

Advertisement

bluefitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefitness View Post
The code book also didn't mention screws as fasteners. I read on here that screws shouldn't be used in framing. I was wondering about sheathing or siding. It seems like screws would provide more strength.
i wondered that about screws and siding too when i first read it on this site. when we moved in here, i vinyl sided the exposed side 'temporarily' using 1" drywall screws. i just left them loose enough to allow movement. here it is 4 years later, and it's still fine. in the spring, i will unscrew and reuse the siding i already have up, just moved around to the back of the house. 100 mph winds did not bother it either!

DM

Advertisement

Old 12-12-2008, 08:50 AM   #3

Screws are not an option in structural framing applications, period. You can use them, but they don't get you out of meeting the minimum nailing requirements. Screws do not have the shear strength that nails do, 100mph winds or not.

I'm assuming when you're talking about 3-8's you're talking about toenailing studs to plates. Three 8's is one option and two 16's is the other option. Configuring the 8's with two on one side and one on the other is the way to go, although the code doesn't require a certain configuration.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:21 AM   #4
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Screws are not an option in structural framing applications, period. You can use them, but they don't get you out of meeting the minimum nailing requirements. Screws do not have the shear strength that nails do, 100mph winds or not.
who said anything about structual framing? i said cheap vinyl siding.... and if the wind WAS going to blow it off, the plastic almost certainly would break off and blow away before a nail OR a screw would pull out.... screws in sheathing is just dumb.

DM
Old 12-15-2008, 08:46 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post

I'm assuming when you're talking about 3-8's you're talking about toenailing studs to plates. Three 8's is one option and two 16's is the other option. Configuring the 8's with two on one side and one on the other is the way to go, although the code doesn't require a certain configuration.
I was referring to using screws for sheathing or siding. It says deformed nails are required (ring or spiral). I would think screws would hold better than nails.
bluefitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
who said anything about structual framing? i said cheap vinyl siding.... and if the wind WAS going to blow it off, the plastic almost certainly would break off and blow away before a nail OR a screw would pull out.... screws in sheathing is just dumb.

DM
When we're talking about attachment of framing members and sheathing, it goes without saying that we're talking about structural framing. You mentioned vinyl siding and I was responding the the OP's question.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefitness View Post
I was referring to using screws for sheathing or siding. It says deformed nails are required (ring or spiral). I would think screws would hold better than nails.
I understand the thought process, although the idea of attaching a piece of sheathing to the studs is to provide lateral strength in the wall, not to keep the material from popping off. So, those fasteners are working in shear and not tension. In shear, nails are much much stronger than screws. If the wall panels were resisting tension forces, screws might win out.

Advertisement