Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2010, 01:31 AM   #1

Share |

Fascia separating from eaves

I am so stressed out about this! We have a Marlette manufactured home, a bit south of Ketchum, Idaho. It has HardiPlank siding on it, and it was new in 2003 and built on a foundation. The first owner was the Fire Chief and his family--we're the second owners.

The fascia is starting to come apart up by the eaves! I am so stressed! I called Marlette and they take no responsibility whatsoever for it!

Additionally, the original paint is peeling terribly from the HardiPlank siding. I called them as well, because the paint is supposed to have a 10 or 15 year guarantee. Again, a company that takes no responsibility for this!

Can anyone please advise me as to how this fascia problem can be fixed? Do we hire someone in construction or a handyman or what? Any details you could give me would be very helpful, as I sure don't know what to do! We need to get this done before Idaho weather starts changing! (I'm going to try to attach a couple of pix)

Thank you so much for any help!!!
Sooz
Attached Thumbnails
Fascia separating from eaves-n-side-facia-looking-up.jpg   Fascia separating from eaves-northside-house-facia.jpg  

Sooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #2

Call a Handyman or General/remodel Company to replace it with real solid wood. Be sure to back prime and cover all 6 sides. You are getting moisture/water there somehow..... The drip-cap looks like the problem.... I hope the soffit vent has metal hardware cloth inside to keep rodents out.

Be safe, Gary

Old 08-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #3

Thank you, Gary, for your reply!!! I really appreciate your input and your helpful suggestions.

Smiles,
Sooz
Sooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:24 PM   #4

You're welcome! That's why we're here. Have whoever caulk next to the window, near top, also.

Gary
Old 08-26-2010, 09:10 PM   #5

They go cheap, cheap with manufactured homes. If you have hardi siding that sounds a little premature unless water is the culprit there also. Sometimes there are clas action judgements and recalls on building materials. It wouldn't hurt to do a web search. My mother-in-law got reimbursed for a siding gone bad on her mobile home due to a recall.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim F For This Useful Post:
Sooz (08-27-2010)