Fascia? Gutters? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2007, 08:48 PM   #1
weekend warrior

Rewards Points: 150

fascia? gutters?

I had some overhangs rebuilt on my house. Right now there's 2x6 running horizontally. I don't think it's treated.

Should I seal the wood with something?

Will the gutters attach directly to this 2x6?

Advertisement

johnny331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:59 PM   #2
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

Rewards Points: 250

fascia? gutters?

If it's a regular Kiln Dried 2x6 that's usually the sub fascia. It ties all of the rafter tails or in your case maybe "ladders" together. If the roofing was done prior to finished facsia than the roofers need to know what you're using for fascia to set the drip edge overhang. The standard for this is to also use wide flange drip edge so you have something to nail to and it flexes less while waiting for the finished fascia. hope this helps.

Advertisement

crecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:15 PM   #3
weekend warrior

Rewards Points: 150

fascia? gutters?

I had an Amish crew do the overhangs and the roof at the same time.

So I apply a 1-by ____ over the 2x6 sub fascia?
johnny331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:33 PM   #4
Commercial Contractor

Rewards Points: 10

fascia? gutters?

If the drip edge has already been applied, then you do not place a 1 x 6 on the face. You simply need to either buy a pre-bent fascia from your local supplier, or if you know someone with a metal break they could bend you a piece to cap the fascia and or soffits if installed.
The professional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:05 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

fascia? gutters?

Here is a picture to help explain it all a little:

(Picture of a client's home, gutters removed)

Note: The aluminum drip cap on the top end of the fascia and extending up onto the roof, under the shingles. It has an overlapping lip that extends over the fascia's top, to protect it like a ''cap'' (thus the term drip-cap)

Fascia board: Fascia boards are most commonly fabricated from 1 x -Pre-primed pine boards. If your drip cap were aligned to be able to ''cap'' over your new fascia board properly, then you would NOT want to use a 1 x 6 for the fascia. It has to be wider than that. It has to extend over the soffit 1x stock (3/4") and also extend beyond the surface of the soffit board. You might be able to see the overhang in the picture above. It is approximately 1/4", but can vary to as much as 1/2", dependant of on how you might need to match the rest of the home's fascia/soffit trim work.

So, you would need to possibly ''rip-down'' your 1 x stock to get the width to accomodate that area on your home. This, you would do on a table saw, with the fence set to the paticular width measurement (that you need to figure out).
If you do have to cut (rip-down) 1 x stock to achieve a specific width board to accomodate your home's fascia, then, when you go to nail it in: place the cut side facing up and hidden under the aluminum drip cap. Important: also, pre-prime the top raw-cut wood side prior to installalation - in order to properly protect the pine. (when you rip down a pre-primed exterior trim piece or even cut it in any way, you should always prime the cut end before installation.

FWIW-We use aerosol-canned spray primer, as it dries much faster.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 06-14-2007 at 05:08 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:42 PM   #6
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

fascia? gutters?

Atlantic, I know that is not your work but whats with that gable end fascia extension?!

Anyway, if your roof pitch is steep there's a good chance that there's a 1/2" or so behind the drip edge. You can test this out by squeezing some plywood scraps up there to see. Otherwise, if they didnt leave a gap or you cannot create one... you need to buy vinyl or aluminum soffit "wrap" so to speak or buy some roll flashing and use a break as someone mentioned.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:49 AM   #7
registered

Rewards Points: 524

fascia? gutters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny331 View Post
I had some overhangs rebuilt on my house. Right now there's 2x6 running horizontally. I don't think it's treated.

Should I seal the wood with something?

Will the gutters attach directly to this 2x6?
My advice to you is real simple . Look in yellow pages for vinyl siding contractor. Call him and have him come out and wrap the facia in aluminum. All vinyl siding guys will do just fascia no problem. Rollex if you want to sound like you know whatsup. Example hey can i get you to come out and wrap my fascia with rollex.

Last edited by 747; 06-16-2007 at 01:51 AM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:27 AM   #8
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

fascia? gutters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crecore View Post
Atlantic, I know that is not your work but whats with that gable end fascia extension?!
Those are for gutters that the Home Owner decided to rip down, rather than clean them. They were only a few years old. The HO had done some paint scraping to prep. for new paint, that he never got around to doing. BTW - That is all CEDAR trim work on the exterior of the home (Rather than pine)....You don't see that very often.

Our Job: We are going to be replacing all the home's windows, remodeling some areas, painting exterior...... and installing...... (new gutters - )

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 06-16-2007 at 09:32 AM. Reason: s[elling
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:36 PM   #9
registered

Rewards Points: 524

fascia? gutters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post

Our Job: We are going to be replacing all the home's windows, remodeling some areas, painting exterior...... and installing...... (new gutters - )

New construction or replacement windows. If replacement are the going to be double or tripple. I'm assuming double because there cheaper then the most expensive (tripples). Are you going to be wrapping the exterior trim around the new windows with rollex. Those tripple replacement windows are pretty nice. But i don't know how much they cost. I'm assuming more then the regular replacement windows with i call double.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:13 PM   #10
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

fascia? gutters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Those are for gutters that the Home Owner decided to rip down, rather than clean them. They were only a few years old. The HO had done some paint scraping to prep. for new paint, that he never got around to doing. BTW - That is all CEDAR trim work on the exterior of the home (Rather than pine)....You don't see that very often.

cool, except it can be difficult to get paint to stick to cedar depending on its age and moisture (oil) content... as the homeowner can see. The Fascia on my house is double board stepped exposure 1" rough cut cedar stained semi transparent chestnut brown and the siding is malaysian mahogany rough side out stained the same. My pitch is 12/12 and I havent bothered with gutters yet knowing they might fail without some valley diverters and such.

Advertisement