False Wall 'air Vents' - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2013, 03:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

False wall 'air vents'

OK so a bit hard to explain this one.
We are putting in a 'false wall' to divide the kitchen from the living area which at the moment is one large room. The long length of the wall will be 3.6 metres or around 12 foot and will actually extend to the end of the carpet and form a corner.
Heres a couple of photos that might (or might not) give you an idea..........

We are also installing a gas log fire in the living room.
It's a little hard to explain but the wall will go all the way to the ceiling and the fire will be on the external wall opposite the 'false' wall
What I want to do when we build the false wall (which will be Gyprock by the way) is to leave a couple of openings or 'slits' in the wall so the heat from the fire can penetrate through to the kitchen.

What would be the best way to do this and should the slits be vertical to allow the best air flow through to the kitchen?

Advertisement

Wandererone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:05 AM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,614

False wall 'air vents'

This seems counter to what the prevailing method is now....people are tearing down walls...not putting them up.

If that was my kitchen....instead of putting in a wall....I would be putting in an island counter and then a breakfast bar about where you have the tape.

Oh...and I would be converting the drop-in stove to a double wall oven and the stove top would be in the island......and I would get rid of that back splash....

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

False wall 'air vents'

+1 on going with an island.

It's unlikely any 'vents' left through the wall would do much good to heat the kitchen area. You'd be better off putting electric heating elements on tile under the floor for that.

Otherwise it'd be your HVAC duct system handling picking up the air warmed by the fireplace and circulating it. But, again, that's unlikely to really add all that much unless the unit is designed for that, and the system changed to handle it. Which is not necessarily a DIY bit of engineering.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 528

False wall 'air vents'

Put the wall in if you must, don't worry about the vents. They will serve no real purpose.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #5

False wall 'air vents'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
If that was my kitchen....instead of putting in a wall....I would be putting in an island counter and then a breakfast bar about where you have the tape.

Oh...and I would be converting the drop-in stove to a double wall oven and the stove top would be in the island......and I would get rid of that back splash....
Well thanks dawg but my question wasn't about 'what to do with my kitchen' although if you have some money you would like to donate I am more than happy to accept for my kitchen reno
Old 06-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #6

False wall 'air vents'

wkearney I never asked about an island and I don't want a bleeping island!
I am guessing that the 'HVAC duct system' you mention is the 'reverse cycle ducted air conditioning system' that is installed? And we have no tiled floors - only vinyl and carpet.
We are retiring and don't have a bottomless money pit as some seem to imply.
Renos will be happening 'down the track' as money comes available.
All I asked was about vents in the wall.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

False wall 'air vents'

Heh, don't give me the attitude, I'm not the only one that liked the island idea. You asked about trying to have the radiant heat getting beyond a proposed wall, presumably to heat all of the room. As others have stated passive vents won't really do much to help. Not having a wall would. Which is more important, the heat or the wall?

You asked, people answered based on what you posted. Tell more when you ask the questions and get more detailed answers. Or be rude about it and get nothing more.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,614

False wall 'air vents'

Ok...to answer your question since you're not receptive to 'other' suggestions...

The vents will do nothing for you. The air will take the path of least resistance which will be around the sides. Without something to move it...that kitchen is going to be a dead zone regarding air.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #9

False wall 'air vents'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
You asked, people answered based on what you posted. Tell more when you ask the questions and get more detailed answers. Or be rude about it and get nothing more.
"+1 on going with an island."
I don't recall asking about an island???
Old 06-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #10

False wall 'air vents'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Ok...to answer your question since you're not receptive to 'other' suggestions...

ddawg I am perfectly receptive to 'other' suggestions............ when they concern the question I asked in the first place

The vents will do nothing for you. The air will take the path of least resistance which will be around the sides. Without something to move it...that kitchen is going to be a dead zone regarding air.
Thank you. That is ALL I wanted to know.

Advertisement