Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2009, 09:34 AM   #1

Share |

faced insulation question

I already used unfaced insulation in a wall between my newly heated space and my unheated garage and put the drywall up. To use facing, I have to detach the drywall , put facing then put the drywall back up ( a lot of work). The space above the garage is heated, so the temprature inside the garage is about 57 compared to about 70 in the heated finished area. is that enough to cause condensation if air infiltrates that wall.

Do I really need to take off the drywall or can I use a vapor barrier paint or is it just fine the way it is?

ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

57 degrees is probably well above dew point in most cases. In any case, you would only have a condensation issue if there is a material on the garage side of the wall that would impede water vapor from passing through it. A vapor retarding paint on the warm side won't hurt anything.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:08 PM   #3

Hard to say...that's not something that's done in Vermont, probably not Texas, maybe in Kansas, not in Florida, maybe in Rhode Island...Never in Canada. Against the codes in some parts...but those are guidelines anyway.

But if I take a wild guess and say you're in the Mid-USA regions, then yes that's fine. A layer or two of latex paint in the garage would act, there, as a vapour retarder and, during heating days, your home is drying to the outside.

And I gather 'facing' means just that: a 'vapour retarder'.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #4

I am in arkansas .. I thought the concern WAS during heating days when the hot air from the inside moves through the walls and condensates??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarlisle View Post
Hard to say...that's not something that's done in Vermont, probably not Texas, maybe in Kansas, not in Florida, maybe in Rhode Island...Never in Canada. Against the codes in some parts...but those are guidelines anyway.

But if I take a wild guess and say you're in the Mid-USA regions, then yes that's fine. A layer or two of latex paint in the garage would act, there, as a vapour retarder and, during heating days, your home is drying to the outside.

And I gather 'facing' means just that: a 'vapour retarder'.

Last edited by ahmed; 12-08-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:53 PM   #5

Yes that's precisely the point, about the home drying to the outside during heating days. It's a paradox; if you had more heating days than cooling days, the vapour retarder should be on the inside of your home. On the other hand, during cooling days it should be on the outside because during those days, your house is drying to the inside.

So we compromise. We put insulation in there and put a vapour retarder, one that breathes in and out on whichever side makes most sense knowing full well that half of the time it's in the wrong place. During heating days you house in under a slight positive pressure, forcing warm moist air through the insulation, through the vapour retarder, the remainder to condense on the colder outside wall. And vice versa for cooling days.

Which do you think you have more of? colling days or heating days?

Most people paint the inside of their houses anyway so that acts as a heating-days-vapour-retarder. If you do the same thing in your garage for cooling days, you should average out OK in both situations.

This is only advice for those in your similar climate zones; not the advice I'd give someone in Maine, Georgia, Washington State, Utah or California to name some. It's tricky; hope this makes sense...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #6

Here is a map, pick your climate and scroll down to walls, it will say if v.b. or retarder need at garage wall or not: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CAoQ9QEwAA
Be safe, Gary
Old 12-09-2009, 09:23 AM   #7

Thanks a lot. Using that dept of energy website, it looks like that the facing is not needed except in extremely cold climates like Minnesota. It helps too that my garage is on the fist floor so does not get really cold in winter.