DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Extra Empty Room Attached to Master

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  AGWhitehouse 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello. I am in the process of purchasing a house. It is a ranch house. Now I do not have access to the house, closing is in a few days. I am trying to decide on a project that I would like to have completed before moving in. Closing is in Aug, not officially moving in until November.

The previous owner had the attached garage made into a nursery, so it’s just a finished empty room attached the master bedroom. He did add another garage in front of the previous garage. The main bathroom is on the small side. I would like to add a master bath (just a custom tile shower, sink, and toile)t. The master bedroom literally has a toilet and sink in a 2x4 closet, he added this because his wife was ill and mostly in bed…

-Option 1 Since the plumbing is mostly there in the 2x4 closet and it is against the main bathroom of the house that would be the easiest location for the mater bath, but then I would have to take down the wall dividing the master bedroom and the extra room. I believe there is a truss above this wall, which can be an issue correct? I have included an aerial shot of the house, the shaded blue area was the previous garage that they made the extra room; you can see how the trusses are.

-Option 2, seems it was the easiest idea, to make the extra room the walkin closet and master bath, but then I wasn’t thinking. If the previous garage was there then that should be just a concrete slab? Therefore it would be a bigger pain and a lot more $$ to get the plumbing in there. Thoughts?

Any different ideas?

the third image I have uploaded is something I put together explaining how the layout is currently today. The first two images are the only options I can think of.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Option 1 would make more sense. The waste pipes need to be close to the main stack for proper drainage. If there's a basement under this, then you can move the bath to the slab room and just lower the access point lower on the stack to accommodate the longer run of pipe.

#4 ·
If the next room was a garage, is there still a step down to get into it or did they frame the floor to get it to the bedroom level?
Where you put the bath in the garage space will determine what you need to do. You might need to open the slab to run the waste and drain pipes and punch a hole in the foundation to tie it to the house plumbing.

#5 ·
The extra room is level with the master bedroom...just for the plumbing do u think that job u said before with running the lines in the foundation would be more than $1000? I am not the best plumber when it comes to a job like this. Everything else I can pretty much handle.

#6 ·
So the floor was framed over the concrete slab. If the framing run is parallel with the future plumbing it will be easier. Whether you need to dig into the slab will depend on the plumbing run of the waste pipe. You need 1/4" per foot for the waste to flow to the stack. If the toilet is on the far side of the room(12' wide room), you would need at least a 2x8 floor joist to keep from digging into the slab as the drop would be 3".
Will it be less then $1000.? Only way to know would be to call in the local plumbers and get estimates. You'll need a permit for this. I wouldn't hire a plumber who says you don't need a permit.

#7 ·
Check the framing on the existing gable end wall (the existing wall b/w the master & extra). Looks from the aerial like this is possibly a stud frame wall of some sort and will need to be supported in the option 1 layout. It's not a tremendous load, but it may need to be dealt with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.