Exterior Wood Steps With Fieldstone Risers - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2010, 10:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Exterior Wood Steps with Fieldstone Risers

I have old cement steps leading from the upper level of my lawn to a lower level. The steps are structurally sound but have cracked and chipped and are quite unattractive. They are flanked on either side by cement block retaining walls faced with fieldstone set in cement/mortar. I would like to cover the steps with wood decking (to match the boathouse deck and house deck). But I'd like the risers to match the flanking fieldstone walls (I realize the fieldstone pieces will have to be narrow to fit into the riser height). The steps are 14" deep; risers are 7" high, there are four steps, and the entire width of the steps is 20'. Any thoughts on how to build the wood decking caps to cover the old cement steps? How should the caps be attached to the existing cement steps? Should space be left between the wood caps and the cement underneath for air and drainage or should the caps rest directly on the cement steps? How far should the wood caps extend over the fieldstone risers? Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

Leck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Exterior Wood Steps with Fieldstone Risers

Might have to use an impact gun but I would ask your local dealer to confirm. I tried doing something similar and all it did was spall the concrete. Hilti rings a bell in my mind as they have some sort of epoxy. Some of the older stoops where mostly sand and anything tried to put in it damaged it afterwards. The other thing would be to use a hammer drill but not sure on the bits and screws.

Just a thought.

Advertisement

Bldg 2 Spec is offline   Reply With Quote