Exterior Window Trim - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2011, 09:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Exterior Window Trim

Building first house and I am in need of some advice.

New windows started going in today. Was planning on using 5/4 Miratec trim for windows. The windows dont have a J channel but do have a slight lip around the face that forms a small channel. Lip is probably 1/8 inch and the channel looks to be about an inch deep. 5/4 trim want go into channel due to flange. I was thinking about rabbeting some off the miratec to get into the channel and have a nice caulk joint. My carpenters that will be putting the stuff up wanted to switch to 2x material for the trim which will stick out alot around the window. I dont think that will look good. Also concerned about expansion with the trim tight to the window. Any advice?

Advertisement

dhuston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,516

Exterior Window Trim

Welcome to the forum dhuston.

I prefer 2x trim. I’d rather see the window, trim and siding at different depths, it adds detail. I’ve never liked the look of flush window trim and siding.

The only reason I’d even consider 5/4 is if the cost difference between that and 2x would end up being a deal breaker.

Advertisement

Last edited by kwikfishron; 10-01-2011 at 09:11 AM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:32 AM   #3

Exterior Window Trim

Do you have any pictures of the 2x trim?
dhuston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #4
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 150

Exterior Window Trim

i use 2x all the time for exterior window trim, it gives more depth to the look of the window but more importantly it provides a larger surface to caulk the siding to. nothing worse than caulking siding to trim that teh face is flush with one another you cant get a clean bead of caulking
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Exterior Window Trim

idk,maybe when using a rainsreen 2x works but there also the the depth of the face of the siding to face of the trim to consider,thin products like hardi or 1/2'' beveled wood siding looks strange imo

i wouldn't suggest placing miratec in any type of channel that could trap water

Last edited by Tom Struble; 10-02-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
Exterior Window Trim

Exterior Window Trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
I prefer 2x trim. Iíd rather see the window, trim and siding at different depths, it adds detail. Iíve never liked the look of flush window trim and siding.
Agreed. Going with a trim that's a little different depth, as well as a slightly different shade from the wall itself, will add some more character to the home.

Texture is something else to play with, if it's an option. Can someone link me to the 5/4 and 2x product pages? I can't find information on them.
Decoramould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Exterior Window Trim

[quote=Decoramould;742233]Agreed. Going with a trim that's a little different depth, as well as a slightly different shade from the wall itself, will add some more character to the home.

no..it won't,look to older style houses,there is a reason 5/4 has been the trim detail on windows and doors for well over a century
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #8
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,516

Exterior Window Trim

Quote:
no..it won't,look to older style houses,there is a reason 5/4 has been the trim detail on windows and doors for well over a century

Sure and on those old houses the windows are already recessed within the frame and the depth detail already exist, something you donít have with a new construction window.

To each there own I guess but I prefer to see window trim proud of the window frame regardless of the thickness of the siding. Not to mention it gives you a surface to caulk for those of us that still believe in using it.

Advertisement