Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #1

Share |

exterior wall sheathing?

I have a question on exterior wall sheathing. I am just about finished up drawing up my design on my garage plan.

But I am noticing a problem. I did a layout of wall studs at 16" on center. If I slap on the sheathing, its in the center of the studs, therefore the front 3/4" of the first stud is not sheathed. am I doing my spacing incorrectly?

It also seems as if I want an 8' wall and use 92-5/8" studs, the top 1" of the top plate will not be sheathed. Is this normal as well? I dont need to buy 9' sheets and cut them down just to cover that last inch do I??
cbzdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:11 PM   #2

exterior wall sheathing?

You set the studs so they hit the plywood where it needs to be on the ends. That would mean setting the first one closer to the starting corner.
The plywood will be installed horizontally on the wall. Just cut the sheets so they fit. Use the waste on the roof or another project.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #3

exterior wall sheathing?

so (2) 4x8 sheets stacked on top of each other at only 8' tall.. How does this work with a 8'-1/18" tall wall? or do I need to cut all my studs so its exactly 8' from the bottom plate to top plate?
Old 08-24-2011, 06:02 PM   #4

exterior wall sheathing?

the extra 1 inch is from the 3 plates added together
fulton 22175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #5

exterior wall sheathing?

yes i realize that, that is my point haha

my question is does that 1" need to be sheathed? Or do I just leave it exposed?

Or are my choices cutting down the another sheet of OSB or cutting the studs shorter?
Old 08-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #6

exterior wall sheathing?

Shouldnt they be 92 1/4" studs? Where are you from? In that case what i would do is lay 1 row of sheathing then 1 1/2" above that row snap a chalk line and lay your next row. On those sheets rip a 3/4" off or whatever the difference is to cut and nail a 1" strip between the 2 rows and leave a 1/4" gap. And remember to stagger the sheets as you put them up either starting/ ending with a half sheet. And if they dont land on the centre of a stud and cant get the nail to bite enough for you to be happy then double up that stud.
J.S.Const. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #7

exterior wall sheathing?

Ok this is what's up, when laying out a wall that is to be sheathed your first stud goes at 15 1/4" and every 16" thereafter. In other words you "burn" 3/4 of an inch at the beginning of the wall to allow your sheathing to brake on the studs. You don't ever cut the sheets to fit. Lol. As for wall hights, you are correct in saying the wall is 8' 1 1/8 if held flush at the bottom the sheet will lap onto the very most top plate 3/8 of an inch, thus providing the neccasary sheer. read a book on framing or higher a contractor.

Last edited by Gary in WA; 08-26-2011 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Removed names as per forum rules.
Ninjaframer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:38 PM   #8

exterior wall sheathing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbzdel View Post
so (2) 4x8 sheets stacked on top of each other at only 8' tall.. How does this work with a 8'-1/18" tall wall? or do I need to cut all my studs so its exactly 8' from the bottom plate to top plate?
Forget the 8 foot high walls for a minute. You're framing the walls and you're framing the roof. The roof will have an overhang. of say 12" on each side. You cut the rafter tails and you set the soffit frame of 2x4's horizontally. These horizontal soffit framing will fall below the wall sheathing gap. You'll take some plywood and sheath the 2x4's and seal the space. No one sees the gap. The wall is structurally sound and ascetically pleasing.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:47 PM   #9

exterior wall sheathing?

The gap doesn't matter so long as the sheathing ties bottom plate to double top plate. If you plan on doing a raked sofit or open eave than whatever you use for finish siding will cover the gap.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:12 AM   #10

exterior wall sheathing?

If you lived in Phx, AZ you wouldn't have to worry about sheathing/laying plywood as they DON'T shear the homes out here. They frame 16" OC and then just stick thin tar paper over the open frame, throw styrofoam panels on top of that, chicken wire and then a small layer of stucco.
JackOfAllTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:19 AM   #11

exterior wall sheathing?

Same in Vegas but you still have sheer walls here and there. 1/2" foam over ply 1" foam over studs.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #12

exterior wall sheathing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaframer View Post
Same in Vegas but you still have sheer walls here and there. 1/2" foam over ply 1" foam over studs.
Well, hopefully we don't get any tornadoes or high winds in Vegas or Phx because I am not too confident these homes will remain standing.

I find it quite pathetic that they don't sheer the entire home. A 10x12 plywood costs what, $15? Using plywood ties in the framed studs and makes them 20x stronger.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #13

exterior wall sheathing?

Freaking engineers man. The ditched the ply and added a huge amount of hardware. I'm sure this is a conspiracy by Simpson
Old 08-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #14

exterior wall sheathing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaframer View Post
Freaking engineers man. The ditched the ply and added a huge amount of hardware. I'm sure this is a conspiracy by Simpson
The question is WHICH is stronger?
Old 08-26-2011, 10:00 PM   #15

exterior wall sheathing?

I guess you need a six year engineering degree to answer that