Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Exterior wall construction

Is it ok to not have plywood sheathing on an exterior wall? My house only has rigid foam board and siding

NickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
Disabled wood vet

People do it that way (but they put special bracing in the walls), but it's better to have the osb or plywood solid sheeting.
It's even required in most places nowadays.

titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickS View Post
Is it ok to not have plywood sheathing on an exterior wall? My house only has rigid foam board and siding
Millions of houses are built with plywood sheathing. That's how most of them are done. Back in the early 80's we used foam board on some condos, but we had to install 1x4 let-in bracing and each corner had to have a full sheet of plywood on it. That was code back then. Now for me it's all plywood.
woodworkbykirk (02-05-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 4

ive built a few home houses, and many fully sheathed houses. personally i hate the foam ones.. even with let in bracing they still move in heavy winds from hurricanes. i also dont like how someone can simply remove a few peices of siding and cut into the house with a knife if they really want to get in

more recently though with my region becoming hit by hurricanes more and more, the foam house practice is a thing of the past
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Do you notice creaking and popping noises when the wind blows, notice more then normal screw or nail pops in the drywall and cracks in the corners near the doors and windows? Caused from from not enough shear streingth from no sheathing.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #6

What would be some methods of correcting or strengthening these walls without pulling siding off of the house, if this is even possible? Thanks in advance for any advice
NickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
Disabled wood vet

I agree with Wwbk about security.

Why the concern? There's bracing in the walls.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #8

Sheathed walls make for a stronger more rigid building. Your house with foam board, and I assume some let-in bracing or sheathed corners, may be adequate for your area. Fully sheathed buildings are typically required in seismic zones and high wind regions, particularly high wind where wind borne debris is a danger. I don't see an easy way to remedy your situation, I suggest you see an architect or professional engineer for a means to strengthen the house, they may be able to come up with a method that is readily achievable.
TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

The only way I can think of it to remove all the siding, which would mean the windows and doors would also have to come out unless they used plywood or OSB under the nailing fins.
Not a small job or cheap to do. What's your concerns with the way it is now?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #10

"What would be some methods of correcting or strengthening these walls without pulling siding off of the house, if this is even possible?"------------------ if any easier, you could add shear bracing from the inside; diagonal blocking, diagonal straps- flat, "T", "L", or interior sheathing with OSB or plywood. Some are much stronger than others: http://bct.nrc.umass.edu/index.php/p...n-the-outside/

http://www.strongtie.com/products/co...c-twb-rcwb.asp

Depending on where you live and how secure you want to feel for the amount of bracing required. Check the "high wind" areas and the "seismic zones" on the maps here: http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...001_par004.htm

Here is the 90 mph wind safe house shear requirements: http://www.awc.org/pdf/WFCM_90-B-Guide.pdf

Info on truss bracing, if needed: http://www.xpsa.com/tech/FSC%20Braci....2%20FINAL.pdf

Gary