Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

exterior wall

Exterior walls from attis to basement are dry rotted from exposure to water leaking from damaged Yankee Gutter. 3 floors 1st fl. 2nd fl. Then attic. 1st and 2nd fls have extensive damage. Damage extends 14 to 20 feet. Platform framing, 1901 built. Brick insulation. . Yankee Gutter damaged. Basement floor spongy have to pour footings to place more posts, to support house. Structure is in New York diemensions are. 25 x 55. The damage is in portion of 55' span. In the center. Builders can you give an explanation of how to go about removal and replacement of wall portion? Construction worker. ME. Bite off more than I can chew. Direction please.

azziza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #2

exterior wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by azziza View Post
Exterior walls from attis to basement are dry rotted from exposure to water leaking from damaged Yankee Gutter. 3 floors 1st fl. 2nd fl. Then attic. 1st and 2nd fls have extensive damage. Damage extends 14 to 20 feet. Platform framing, 1901 built. Brick insulation. . Yankee Gutter damaged. Basement floor spongy have to pour footings to place more posts, to support house. Structure is in New York diemensions are. 25 x 55. The damage is in portion of 55' span. In the center. Builders can you give an explanation of how to go about removal and replacement of wall portion? Construction worker. ME. Bite off more than I can chew. Direction please.
This is way beyond your pay grade.
Take pictures and post them.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #3

exterior wall

Thick skin, moved to fast for my desire. . Will take pics and post. I bought this house like this not knowing, thought demo reno. Then done. Nothing structural. Just want to do it right Thank you. Started demo and discovered dry rot, Portion of wall fell out prior to my purchase. Was patched and covered up. To look new.
azziza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #4

exterior wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by azziza View Post
Thick skin, moved to fast for my desire. . Will take pics and post. I bought this house like this not knowing, thought demo reno. Then done. Nothing structural. Just want to do it right Thank you. Started demo and discovered dry rot, Portion of wall fell out prior to my purchase. Was patched and covered up. To look new.
Sounds like something a house flipper would do.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:15 AM   #5

exterior wall

you have to support the weight of the floors if necessary, do the rot repair, start from the bottom and go up, doing whatever foundation work as needed. (you might want to bring in an inspector/engineer to determine what's best for foundation) If you're not sure how to determine load bearing walls etc. and not sure how to shore up a floor, then don't do it. Keep in mind as well if it's extensive then siding will have to be refastened, probably taken off and redone., also you will have to disconnect plumbing electrical and run through new framing.

If you're not sure where to start with this then it is probably a job you need to bring in a professional, or you might be over your head, this is structure.
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote