Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #1

Share |

exterior wall

Hello. I'm trying to build an entire exterior wall because the whole length (25' narrow side of the house) is rotted out at the base. I've checked many diy sites but none seem to embellish how you anchor the sill plate to the floor. Some say once the sill is in place you should Hilti the sill into place, while other sites talk of using masonry sleeves and nails. How long should these anchors be and how far apart?

Grax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:39 AM   #2

exterior wall

The 2000 and 2003 IRC codes require 1/2" bolts no more than 6' on center with 7" of imbedment into the foundation. The 2006 and 2009 I-codes require tighter spacing than that, so check with you local municipality. Bolts must be located within 12" of each end of a wall, and on either side of splices in the sill plate.

This definitely isn't the place for tapcon screws or ramset nails.

There are several options such as 1/2" wedge anchors or 5/8" (not 1/2") sleeve anchors, but you may face challenges in getting them approved since actual imbedment is stonger. Simpson makes bolts and epoxy adhesives that are good anchoring solutions.

You drill a 7" hole in the foundation, use a 9" or longer bolt, clean the hole, put the epoxy in the hole and drive the bolt home. http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/rfb.asp

Specialty construction suppliers in your area (such as Hertz or Hilti) will have a wide assortment of options. Just be sure they're 1/2" diameter and 7" deep.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:01 PM   #3

exterior wall

I agree with using the bolts and epoxy as noted above - I recently used these when making major modifications to a long exterior wall of my house. Do follow the instructions on hole diameter, cleaning, how much adhesive to use, etc. Inspector quized me on a couple installation points to ensure they were installed correctly, then passed inspection with no issue.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote