Exterior Sheathing And New Windows - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Exterior sheathing and new windows

This is a great board...
Soon I will be tearing down a small sun porch located on the Westerly side of my home. It's about 10' x 8' in size. It currently has two rotten 4x4" posts on the ends (Carpenter Ants... ), and the pitched roof is mostly held up by large louvered windows with heavy alum frames surrounding the exterior walls. A perimeter short knee wall about 18" high from slab supports it all. The walls above the windows are clap board. I live on Long Island NY and we do get some extreme weather here.
My plan is to tear it all out, keeping the roof and it's joists, but run new power, insulate the roof, t&g ceiling, and install new swing-out windows within framed walls.
What should I put on the exterior sheathing? Just wrap it/felt and clap board or should I add ridged foam? I plan to run batt insulation on the interior. If I run the foam, how do I nail the windows in? Stupid questions I know, but we all start somewhere!

Thanks!

Advertisement

Last edited by JohnC20; 10-17-2012 at 02:41 PM.
JohnC20 is offline   Reply With Quote