Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2009, 12:40 PM   #1

Share |

exterior sheathing - keep it or replace it?

I'm residing my house and have come across a bit of an issue.

I already have a thread to follow my progress new hardi siding and windows - what have I started? aargh!

so far, as I've been pulling of the old aluminum siding, my plywood sheathing has been dry and in great condition, until today.

You can see in the lower right the plywood is a different colour. It was a bit wet and has a nice musty smell. Behind this wall is the laundry room. I think the problem is caused by an improperly installed dryer vent. The vent tube didn't go right through the wall but instead only entered the wall past the drywall. The exterior had a regular vent hole so over the years (10+) the warm wet dryer air was in direct contact with the fibreglass insullation.

The plywood is discoloured but appears to be in reasonable shape.

Do I need to cut out the sheathing and reinsullate? or do I let it dry out, install the vent properly, then paint the ply with a Kilz type paint?

Opinions please?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
exterior sheathing - keep it or replace it?-summer-2009-109.jpg   exterior sheathing - keep it or replace it?-summer-2009-110.jpg  

derf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
General Contractor

I would open it up since you're this far into it. Better to stay on the side of caution than to find out later that "you should have". Just let it get some air for a few days so it can dry. Use a mild bleach/water mix to kill of any mold or mold spores, even if you can't see any. Put the most powerful fan you have on it for a couple of days and then re-insulate and install new sheathing.

Oh yeah, and find out/fix what caused that to begin with.

Good luck,
Jason

Jason W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:37 PM   #3

i looked... yuck
Attached Thumbnails
exterior sheathing - keep it or replace it?-outside-reno-09-009.jpg   exterior sheathing - keep it or replace it?-outside-reno-09-007.jpg  
Old 08-01-2009, 06:56 PM   #4

yuck is right,i think your right about your dryer vent
blowing warm moist air into the stud bays and inbetween the poly and sheet rock aparently,i would change the ply insulation and dry wall in that section
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:41 PM   #5

You might want to go around the corner to see if it's spread.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:21 PM   #6

Thanks for sharing these photos btw. Interesting to see underlying problems!
cloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:44 PM   #7

boy am I glad I opened it up... the mold was really bad.

You'll notice in the pics that the construction is a bit unusual. It is double walled. When the previous owner finished the basement they wanted a flush wall with no ledge for the foundation wall so they built a complete interior wall. Good idea if only they would have installed a longer dryer vent tube to go through that double wall.

I wound up removing the insulation and exterior framing completely; Removed the drywall sandwiched between the wall layers; then removed the interior insulation. After that I bleached the remaining sill plate and interior framing which was luckily free from much mold.

After getting it all bleached and dry I reframed the exterior wall, re insulated both walls, resolved the wiring issues then closed it up.

Ouch... a very basic mistake 10 years ago by the guy who finished the basement resulted in a real health hazard, and a huge messy job to fix. Lesson learned for all us DIY'ers is that it always, always, always has to be done right.
Attached Thumbnails
exterior sheathing - keep it or replace it?-outside-reno-09-002.jpg   exterior sheathing - keep it or replace it?-outside-reno-09-009.jpg   exterior sheathing - keep it or replace it?-outside-reno-09-011.jpg   exterior sheathing - keep it or replace it?-outside-reno-09-015.jpg   exterior sheathing - keep it or replace it?-outside-reno-09-021.jpg  

Last edited by derf36; 08-01-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:46 PM   #8

more pics
Attached Thumbnails
exterior sheathing - keep it or replace it?-outside-reno-09-023.jpg   exterior sheathing - keep it or replace it?-outside-reno-09-024.jpg   exterior sheathing - keep it or replace it?-outside-reno-09-025.jpg   exterior sheathing - keep it or replace it?-outside-reno-09-027.jpg  
Old 08-02-2009, 01:16 AM   #9

derf so the venting of the dryer didn't make its way all the way outside? Thats insane.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:07 AM   #10
Household Handyman

I also Thank You for the pics, how long would it take to try and describe all of that! This just goes to show how much moisture there really is in the vented air from a clothes dryer. Good job on the repair. Thanks, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:10 PM   #11

great pics
roadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason W View Post
Use a mild bleach/water mix to kill of any mold or mold spores, even if you can't see any.
Bleach does not kill mold or spores, it merely bleaches the color out of them so they look like they're gone... it will smell better as well, but you need something like Fiberlock Shockwave to actually kill mold/spores

In this case it's not a big deal since it's airtight, dried out now, and remedied so it wont happen again... but for someone else maybe dealing with a basement mold issue, get the good stuff. I got some off ebay.
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:19 PM   #13

There is actually a huge controversy on what does and what doesn't kill mold. I have also read that bleach does and does not kill mold. Here is one link that has some options.

http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/ts/IAQ/GOT_Mold.html