Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #1

Share |

Exterior Sheathing

Hi, I am replacing the sheathing, windows (2), and siding on the front of my house. It is a small area about 8' high and 12' long. Pretty sure I have the windows and siding dialed in. But, for sheathing I am using 23/32 T&G OSB and installing it vertically. I got it at Lowes and the info sticker said it was for roofing, siding, and sub floors. On the the actual OSB sheet it only references sub floors. The edges are painted grey (does that mean it is suited for a particular purpose?) I think the 23/32 is a bit thicker than a standard application for sheathing but it works better for my arrangement. Is there any problem with what I am doing in terms of the sheathing?

RodBarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
Maryland

Exterior Sheathing

23/32 T&G OSB is an underlayment/subfloor product. 7/16 OSB is typically used for sheathing in my neck of the woods.

What's installed on the house right now? Why are you having to replace the sheathing in the first place?

Last edited by Pittsville; 06-19-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Pittsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
Framing Contractor

Exterior Sheathing

Your fine.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
AHH, SPANS!!!

Exterior Sheathing

One problem I can think of is the window jamb width will be affected 1/4" using the 3/4 sheathing. you might need jamb extensions, regular sheathing is 1/2". you can extend either the inside jamb or outside. Also,you might want to check the manufacturers' website to determine how to install that type of OSB as it is mostly used for sub flooring and is nailed/screwed on the horizontal not the vertical. it may need to be installed horizontally on the sheathing just as it would lay across floor joists on a floor. when installing,the tongue and groove works better perpendicular to framing also in general.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #5

Exterior Sheathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsville View Post
23/32 T&G OSB is an underlayment/subfloor product. 7/16 OSB is typically used for sheathing in my neck of the woods.

What's installed on the house right now? Why are you having to replace the sheathing in the first place?
Old painted plywood from the seventies. Needs to replaced because of wear and aesthetics.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:10 PM   #6

Exterior Sheathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand drive View Post
One problem I can think of is the window jamb width will be affected 1/4" using the 3/4 sheathing. you might need jamb extensions, regular sheathing is 1/2". you can extend either the inside jamb or outside. Also,you might want to check the manufacturers' website to determine how to install that type of OSB as it is mostly used for sub flooring and is nailed/screwed on the horizontal not the vertical. it may need to be installed horizontally on the sheathing just as it would lay across floor joists on a floor. when installing,the tongue and groove works better perpendicular to framing also in general.
10-4. But in my case the thickness will benefit the window installation.

Yeah that was one of my main concerns, if I was installing it in the proper direction..
Old 06-19-2012, 11:59 PM   #7
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Exterior Sheathing

Is it rated for exterior applications like what you want to do with it?

Even though it will be covered by siding and presumably some kind of water resistant barrier, it should be exterior rated.

Andy.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyGump For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (06-20-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 12:08 AM   #8

Exterior Sheathing

Sounds like "Sturdy-I-floor", (Exposure1); http://www.apawood.org/apacad/images...specs/Y310.pdf

As Andy said: http://www.apawood.org/pablog/index....f-plywood#more

Gary
RodBarney (06-20-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #9

Exterior Sheathing

It is exposure 1. Yes it will be covered with 60 min. building paper and siding. I thought the combo of exposure 1, barrier, and siding would suffice..

Should I paint the OSB before I put the paper on, would that do me any favors?

Thanks.