Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2008, 08:53 PM   #1

Share |

Exterior Rigid Foam for Interior Use?

What's the difference here? Aside from the price... It looks the same. Can I use "CodeBoard" on the interior basement wall? It would be covered by a stud wall, batt insulation, and drywall.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...chLevel=level1

If the link doesn't work, search the following numbers on homedepot.ca:

CodeBoard (exterior): 905953
Celfort (interior): 905948

Reilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:18 PM   #2
What can I find here?

To be honest, I don't really see a difference either. I noticed the other is only 24"....maybe you're paying to have something cut perfectly to fit in between a 24" OC stud cavity? I also think that a 1" foamboard averages about a 5 R-value. Have you considered a 2" foamboard? I'm only asking because it was suggested to me by our energy auditor earlier this here.

Go with the cheaper stuff IMO. Are you going to use and adhesive to mount to the basement walls? If I remember correctly I think PL300 was suggested?? I know I've mentioned it here before...

Best of luck and keep us in the know.

Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
Have you considered a 2" foamboard? I'm only asking because it was suggested to me by our energy auditor earlier this here.

Go with the cheaper stuff IMO. Are you going to use and adhesive to mount to the basement walls? If I remember correctly I think PL300 was suggested?? I know I've mentioned it here before...

Best of luck and keep us in the know.
Thanks Winchester. The reason I'm going with 1" is because I'm going to also use 6" fibreglass batt. This will give me R-25 and a heafty grant from the government.

I was reading up on adhesive tonight, and came to the same conclusion of using PL300 or PL Premium.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:27 AM   #4

Yes you should be able to do that...Not a bad price either...Good luck on the grant and the warmer, cheaper to heat home you will have there...Good plan...
Lansing
Lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:59 AM   #5

Nothing wrong with using foamboard in a home. Just remember that it always has to have an ignition barrier (such as drywall, plywood, etc) over it, and cannot be left exposed in accessible areas such as basements and attics.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
What can I find here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilley View Post
Thanks Winchester. The reason I'm going with 1" is because I'm going to also use 6" fibreglass batt. This will give me R-25 and a heafty grant from the government.
I would then assume that you are going to use 2x6 studs?? Would it be cheaper to spend more money on the foamboard and less for 2x4 studs? Just a thought to consider.

Or perhaps you had the other post I read the other day and you're leaving 2" behind the studs and the foamboard?
Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
I would then assume that you are going to use 2x6 studs?? Would it be cheaper to spend more money on the foamboard and less for 2x4 studs? Just a thought to consider.

Or perhaps you had the other post I read the other day and you're leaving 2" behind the studs and the foamboard?
Yep that was me.